Would I be a candidate for a mini arm lift? (photo)

I'm interested in an arm lift but I'm not wanting an incision to extend to my elbow. Would I be a candidate for an axillary incision arm lift?

Mini arm lift

The problem with a "mini" arm lift is that it can produce "mini" results.  There is only a limited amount of skin that can be removed through an axillary incision, and the incision and scar car prove problematic, stretching and widening with movement of the arm, and even migrating out of the underarm.  Consider a formal consultation to assess the contour of the arm, but also the quality of your skin.  You may benefit from liposuction with the addition of some form of skin tightening.  Best of luck!

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Mini arm lift?

Thanks for this question. I would say that a mini arm lift will not remove enough skin to make a difference. I prefer the posterior approach which can be done to remove the excess skin seen in the photos while hiding the scar in the back of the arms. The incision would be smaller in your case, but not a mini. Please see the link below to view photos of patients and notice that it's almost impossible to see the scar from the front. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Mini or Full Arm Lift

Thanks for the photo and question.  I do not think you would not get enough improvement from a mini arm lift to make it worth it to you.  However, I do think you would get very good results from a traditional arm lift.  The scar would go from your arm pit to probably an inch or two above the elbow.  Hope this helps.  Good luck.

Would I be a candidate for a mini arm lift?

Thank you for your question.  You may experience some improvement with a mini arm lift but you're a better candidate for a full arm lift, considering the extent of your loose excess skin.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Arm lift arm reduction brachioplasty full incision arm lift mini arm lift crescent arm lift arm liposuction T arm lift arm scar

Hi Gaparke2,Thank you for your picture and question regarding a mini-arm lift.  Basically, you could have a mini-arm lift, but your results will be "mini-mal". You will not be happy. I would save your money.  You have a Type 3 arm with excess skin and fat from your arm pits to your elbows.  Your best treatment will be an incision form the arm pit to the elbow.  This will eliminate excess, hanging skin from your arm pits to your elbows.  You should obtain very good results from an arm lift. A full arm lift ( arm reduction or brachioplasty) takes about three hours. An arm lift is performed under general anesthesia. Two weeks after an arm lift, most patients are able to return to work.   After an arm lift, arm compression garments are essential for six to eight weeks.  In addition,  silicone cream and silicone strips are essential to optimize arm lift scars.  In my practice, arm lift keloids are very rare.  Surgical or laser arm lift scar revision is very rare.  A "mini arm lift" is for patients with Type 2 arms.  These patients have excess in the upper arm, next to the arm pit.  A "mini arm lift" can be a crescent or a "T" shaped scar.  Both these procedures remove excess skin and fat from the upper arm.  This is not you.In addition, arm liposuction alone will not achieve the results you are seeking.  Your arm skin must be removed. After traditional liposuction or VASER, the contractility of your arm skin is not reliable.  Unless your arm skin is removed, you will be left with hanging arm skin.I hope this helps and answers your question about arm lifts.  If you have any other questions about arm lifts, please contact my office.Sincerely, Dr. Katzen 

A mini arm lift

A mini arm lift is a weak operation in that it can only give very small corrections. You have excess skin down to the elbow which is best addressed with a full arm lift. I do not think you would be pleased with the results of anything less than a full arm lift.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question.  Based on your photograph, do not think that you are a good candidate for "mini" arm lifting surgery. Very few patients are a good candidate for the "mini" arm lift operation. Those patients have a very limited area of "excess" skin/adipose tissue close to the axillary area. The vast majority of patients who present with concerns regarding their upper extremity appearance, are better candidates for full arm lifting operations. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

You will need full Brachioplasty

Your arm's skin excess runs in the entire length of your arms. Armpit incision will not work for you. You will need full arm lift.   

Vasdev Rai, MD

Arm lift

I frequently avoid skin excisions by using Vaser ultrasound liposuction and/or smart lipo to remove fat and tighten arm skin. If further skin tightening is needed, Thermi Tight RF can be performed months later. In more severe cases, a small excision of skin can be performed as a last resort. 
You appear to be a good candidate for no Brachioplasty.
An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon who performs these procedures is recommended to confirm you are a candidate as well as discuss your options and expectations. 

Consider skin tightening

I think purchase of an axillary incision to improve laxity down the arm would give you a mild to moderate improvement.  On par with this outcome you could also consider a minimally invasive skin tightening treatment called ThermiRF ..less invasive, virtually no scar - results would be similar.