It's been 1 year and 4 months since I had an abdominoplasty. My stomach swells and gets really hard. Is this normal?

It's been 1 year and 4 months after I had my abdominalplasty. My stomach gets hard like a rock it swells and looks as though I'm 4 months pregnant then it goes down. It hurts when it swells up. My right side swells more then my left side and then my stomach looks lopsided. I went to my dr and he said nothing was wrong. Is this normal?

Thank you for your question.If your doctor examined you and said there was nothing wrong, then I would try not to worry. The swelling that you are referring to may simply be bloating. The reason that makes me believe this is that you stated your abdomen gets quite hard and swollen and then it goes down. These are common symptoms of bloating. I would keep an eye on what you are eating and see if this tends to happen more often after something particular you eat, also I would recommend taking a probiotic once a day to help promote healthy digestion. If your symptoms still persist or get worse, I would recommend getting a second opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon