Tummy Tuck - Belly Button Scar. Any suggestions? (photos)

I'm four months, P.O.L Loving my results. I am not perfect, but I am much improved, and that's all I wanted! I am curious though, what you think about my outlook in regards to my BB scar...it's a little raised. I wouldn't die if it never changed, I'm still happy, but I am curious as to whether or not this is the best it's gonna get. Incidentally, I've been using Bio Oil faithfully, and I am of African American descent..thank you in advance for your time!

Thank for your question

Actually there's still time of recovery for you so the scar might improve considerably, try to continue the massages and the correct care, maybe speak to your surgeon about it to see if there's any extra medication for you to use and improve the looks of your scars.

Best of lucks.....

4 months post op. some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.
At this point (4months post-po) the swelling have to be minimal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy Tuck - Scar Care?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your recent surgery. I instruct all of my patients to perform daily scar massage and apply a silicone based scar ointment or tape to their incisions. Biocorneum makes an excellent product. Please ask your board certified plastic surgeon for specific instructions regarding his or her scar management protocol. Hope this helps!

Raised tummy button scar

I would need to examine you in person to give you a definite opinion. However, the upper margin of the scar appears raised and widened.  I suspect the scar is hypertrophic scar which is a common process that scars under go. Typically they start thin then at about 6-12 weeks they become thicker, wider, red and itchy. Usually this stops after about 6-9 months and the scar then gradually becomes softer, flatter, paler and not itchy. Usually the scar remains widened. This is called maturation.

Another related scar process is the keloid scar. This has many similarities with the hypertrophic scar but is less predictable. It differs from the hypertrophic scar in that it grows beyond the original incision or wound. Keloid scarring is more difficult to treat and can go on causing problems for years. Keloid is more common at certain sites around the body and in African American skin.

On balance without having examined you I think the scar in the photograph looks more like a hypertrophic scar than keloid but time may prove otherwise. If it is hypertrophic I would anticipate that it may thicken further but not dramatically and then slowly soften and flatten over a year or two. Then end result would then not look all that different from where it is now. So hopefully you will remain very happy.

There is some evidence that silicone gel applied to the scar may encourage maturation of the scar.

As always you are best advised to seek advice from a suitably trained and experienced plastic surgeon.

Jeremy S. Hurren, BSc, MBBS, FRCS (Plast)
Chichester Plastic Surgeon

Belly Button Scar

After your #tummytuck surgery, your #abdominoplasty scars including the one around the #bellybutton will continue to settle for a full year after surgery.

If you have major concerns about your results, please contact your #BoardCertified #PlasticSurgeon for an in-person consultation.