I'm getting Smartlipo in a few days. What area shows best results (inches lost). Love handles or stomach area? (Photos)

I am needing to get inches off my waist and I need to choose where I might have the best results because I can only afford one procedure. What would yield better results? I'm currently at 44 inch waist and I need to be as close to 39 inches or below.

Love handles.

You will see good results from both areas.  However, men store a great deal of resistant fat in their love handles.  Aggressive removal of this fat can dramatically change your waistline and cause a significant loss in inches!

Cedar Park Family Physician

I would suggest love handles

for men, much of the unwanted fat is behind the muscle and not amenable to Smartlipo. Love handles are very hard to get perfect even when you exercise a lot and are a good weight - so i would suggest love handles.

remember, Smartlipo is a way to decrease fat but is not a weight reduction surgery. there is no magic. If you want to look your best, you need to be stricter with your diet and exercise longer or more often. 

good luck

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

I'm getting Smartlipo in a few days. What area shows best results. Love handles or stomach area?

Thanks for your question and for the photos – they help. We always recommend that you consult with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who understand fat reduction procedures including SmartLipo and the various non-invasive procedures that we are currently using for fat reduction.  If you are set on SmartLipo, which is a great procedure for removing fat, your best areas for treatments are the love handles and the abdominal area – and we would recommend that SmartLipo is followed by liposuction as the laser helps melt the fat and the lipo then removes the melted fat.  Again, the proper physician needs to evaluate you and see what you are the best candidate for – best of luck.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Abdomen vs Love Handle as Best Choice for Waist Reduction

Five inches is the goal.  Although liposuction to both abdomen and love handle would likely get you there judging from the photos alone, if I had to choose abdomen versus love handle, I would choose love handles for you.Good luck on meeting your goals!Windell Davis Boutte, MD

Windell C. Davis-Boutte, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring, NonSurgical Options

You may be a good candidate for Vaser Hi Def Liposuction combined with a noninvasive fat loss procedure, such as Velashape 3 or Vanqish. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Need to lose 5 inches off your waistline?

It sounds like you're trying to meet a job requirement. I would recommend diet and lipo. I use the HCG diet to get 15+ pounds off my patients in under a month. That will effectively reduce your stomach. Combine that with lipo of the sides (flanks) and you should be able to hit your numbers.