Pre-op tests for healthy 60 year old for tummy tuck?

I am a healthy woman in my early 60s with no major health issues. I had a major surgery 3 years ago that required hospitalization with no ill effects from anesthesia. I have recently had a full blood work and EKG done, all normal. Do I need a stress test before getting a tummy tuck? Do I need any other tests?

Medical clearance for tummy tuck in 6th decade

Thank you for your question. My suggestion is to arrange a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon near you to review your medical history and determine if further testing is needed. Generally, if you reasonably healthy the labs/EKG that you recently obtained should suffice. 

Medical clearance

A review of your medical history and an in person exam is essential to determine if you are a candidate. You will likely also need medical clearance. Best of luck.

Thank you for sharing your excellent question.  Based on your narrative alone you may only need a chest X-ray for anesthesia purposes, but unlikely to need a stress test, unless you have some other significant cardiac risk factor.  Best wishes on your tummy tuck procedure.

Preop tests?

Thank you for this question. If your labs are indeed completely normal and you don't have cardiac symptoms, I doubt you would need a stress test. However, if you experience shortness of breath and/or chest pains in your life - then a stress test is a consideration. Seek guidance from your plastic surgeon about this issue. Best wishes, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

No, you do not necessarily need a stress test or other specific tests prior to surgery. In my practice, I would ask that you obtain "medical clearance" from the doctors who know you best (primary care or internist).  Often, a careful history and physical examination along with a few basic labs and EKG sufffice. Depending on exactly when the blood work and EKG was done, further testing/laboratory workup may not be necessary.

For me, a patient's "exercise tolerance" and/or activity level is an important indicator as to how he/she will tolerate a surgical procedure.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.