How long is typical for Coolspulting abdomen pain to subside?

I had Coolscpulting done on my abdomen a week ago today and the sharp pains are only getting worse, how long does it usually take to go away??? My Dr has me on 300 mg of Gabapentin 2xs a day but it's not helping. Any home remedies anyone can suggest?

Discomfort after CoolSculpting procedure

Patients can experience discomfort and pain in the treatment area for a few weeks. In addition to gabapentin, other ways to relieve the pain include wearing a compression garment, warm compresses and ibuprofen. Sometimes, a prescription pain medication is needed briefly.

Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Post procedure discomfort

It's common for most patients to experience a degree of discomfort and mild pain during the first few weeks, this should begin to subside somewhere around the third or fourth week. Being that the procedure was done on you abdomen, some of our patients have found that wearing a girdle or a tight fitting Spanx garment can help to alleviate some of the discomfort. Good luck!

Abdominal pain following CoolSculpting

Dear ifferstein:

Pain and spasm following CoolSculpting to the lower abdomen is uncommon and when it occurs a week or more after the procedure, is usually well tolerated with tylenol and ibuprofen. The duration of this discomfort may be 1 to 3 weeks. 

Gabapentin is marketed to reduce nerve pain and may take up to 3 weeks to achieve the desired pain control. You may need a muscle relaxant or stronger pain medication to make you comfortable during the interim. 

Local options that may help include:
  1. Warm compresses or heating pad
  2. Relaxing massages
  3. Compression garment such as athletic pants or Spanx

If the pain is getting worse and not better, return to your Physician for re-examination. I wish you the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting and Pain

Coolsculpting can sometimes cause paint for up to a week in certain areas. If Motrin doesn't help then Neurontin gives quick relief of these symptoms.  Best, Dr. Green

Pain after coolsculpting

The abdominal pain that you are feeling after cool sculpting will subside over time. Gabapentin helps to lessen the discomfort but only time will heal.  A compression Garment ,hot or cold to the area, and ibuprofen may also help to relieve the pain. If it is very severe your physician may subscribe a narcotic temporarily.

Joanne Lopes, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Pain

This can happen to people who get coolsculpting, you may need higher dosing of your neurontin, taking ibuprofen will also help.  If needed oral steroids may benefit you.  Pleaese speak to your board certified treating physician.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Pain after Coolsculpting

You should be nearing the end of the pain cycle after Coolsculpting. If it occurs, it starts at around day 3 or 4 and lasts about 3-4 days.  The majority of patients find compression helpful, like a tights or spanks.   Different people find different things helpful with respect to applying heat or cold to the area. Ibuprofen can also be helpful. Stay in touch with the provider that treated you for advice as well as so they know how you're doing.

Good luck

Grant Stevens, MD

Pain after CoolSculpting

Hello, Although most people do not experience this pain, there are a few recommendations from CoolSculpting itself in order to help comfort the patient.

A. Non-pharmacological interventions: Non-pharmacological interventions have been attempted, such as removal of clothing from the treatment area to avoid further irritation, use of cold compresses, and the use of compression garments. However, these interventions do not usually provide substantial relief, and patients typically require pharmacological interventions.

B. Pharmacological interventions: Various pharmacological interventions have provided varying degrees of relief. In general, oral and topical corticosteroids, NSAIDS, antihistamines, and analgesics provide minimal relief, and narcotics and topical anesthetics such as lidocaine creams or patches provide minimal to moderate relief. Sleep aids may be considered to address sleep disturbances. Eight patients were treated with low dose (300mg BID to TID) gabapentin (Neurontin), an anticonvulsant which is also commonly used in the management of postherpetic neuralgia, diabetic neuropathy, and migraine, and showed promising results with moderate to complete relief. Because of the self-limiting and self-resolving nature of the pain, patients typically require no longer than 1 – 2 weeks of pharmacological intervention.

Good Luck! 

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

How long for pain in abdomen after CoolSculpting to go away?

There are some people who will develop sharp pain in the abdomen after a CoolSculpting treatment.  This pain will go away over time, but Gabapentin usually does help.  Since you are seeing no pain relieve with your current dosage, I would contact the physician who treated you to discuss possibly increasing the dosage.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain After CoolSculpting

The pain you are experiencing is nerve related pain. A cold or warm compress can help for some people. A compression garment may also help. The Gabapentin usually works, if it does not then you may want to call your physician and see whether it's worthwhile to increase the dosage or switch to a different medication. The pain will completely go away, but it may take up to 2 weeks. Again, the best thing to do is contact your treatment provider. Best wishes.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon