I had Gynocomastia surgery about 3 months ago. To me everything looks the same as before surgery. Any suggestions? (photo)

surgeon said there is a little scar tissue but it's about as good as it will get. This has me worried since I feel noticeable lumps still behind my nipples. Any feedback please

What to Expect While Healing After Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. 

Usually 1 week after #gynecomastia surgery you can begin taking moderate walks or ride a stationary bike. Strenuous workouts or aerobic #exercise can begin around 4 weeks post-op. I suggest you get approval from your doctor before you begin any physical activity and workout regimens. It important to prevent any damage to the surgical sites as you are healing. This will decrease your chance of requiring #revision procedures in the future. The best advice is to be patient as it is still very early in your post-operative #healing. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

It does not look like you have much if any gynecomastia left. You nipple is slightly puffy. Gynecomastia surgery requires balancing how much you are taking out with how much you need to leave behind. If too much tissue is removed behind the nipple you will end up with a crater. In my opinion, I would accept slight puffiness over having an indentation. You may consider a consultation with a second plastic surgeon for an in person exam.

Persistent gynecomastia

It is possible that you are feeling scar tissue, but if you do an aggressive massage to the area regularly and there are still firm breast buds in 6 months, it could need further resection.  This is absolutely true if only liposuction was used the first time and not direct excision of breast gland.

John Zannis, MD
New Bern Plastic Surgeon