Recent breast surgery. My implant is painful & hard. Any suggestions? (photos)

I am 6 months post opp. I have from day one felt like one implant was higher & more swollen than the other. My doctor says we have to wait until closer to my 1 year mark to resolve the issue. I cannot sleep on my left side, and if I do on accident, I wake up in pain. My left side is hard & painful, sometimes shooting pain, sometimes just mild discomfort. My doc says that the muscle is contracting & pushing the implant up. Any advice or opinions. I would appreciate. It is very disheartening.

Capsular Contracture

Short of full breast exam, it seems you have a capsular contracture. You would benefit from a second opinion to assess whether a capsulectomy with implant exchange would be prudent. I don't forsee much changing from 6 months to a year with such a discrepancy.

Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Breasts

Thank you for your question and pictures.  It sounds like you may be developing a capsular contracture.  If you PS is dismissing you, then you may want  to consider a second opinion from another PS.  To wait for 6 more months if it is a capsular contracture does not make any sense.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Recent breast surgery. My implant is painful & hard.

Thank you for your question and photos. I am sorry you are experiencing problems following your breast augmentation. It would be difficult to fully assess your situation without an in-person examination. However, from your photos and description, it appears you may have developed capsular contracture in your left breast. I would recommend to return to your board-certified plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns and the need for a revision. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Capsular contracture

It looks like you might have a capsular contracture. If you are at 6 months out, then you might consider revision surgery at this point.

Implant malposition

It sounds like you have developed a capsular contracture on the right side. Waiting longer does not make sense to me. I am concerned you may have had a small hematoma from the begining of surgery as this side seemed higher, tighter, and more swollen from day one. This would help explain the situation. At this point a capsulectony and implant exchange seems like the best way to proceed.

Eric Weiss MD

Eric Weiss, MD, FACS
Orange Park Plastic Surgeon

Unilateral capsular contracture after breast augmentation.

Capsular contracture is generally painless but there are exceptions as in your case. This phenomenon occurs in about 5% of patients undergoing breast augmentation. Options for treatment will be discussed with your surgeon.

Tight breast

It appears in photos that you have developed a Capsular Contracture. At 6 months post op really no need to wait. You should consult with your board certified plastic surgeon- if they do not offer any treatment then you should search for a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in breast surgery or revisional breast surgery. Waiting can only cause you more problems and complications. There are treatments such as oral medications and ASPEN ultrasound treatments that can help to possibly prevent further surgery. Best of luck to you and see your surgeon soon.

M. Bradley Calobrace, MD, FACS

Recent breast surgery. My implant is painful & hard. Any suggestions?

Something has gone wrong. Best to seek in person second opinions ASAP. YOU do not need to wait on revision surgery!

Firm breast

Thank your for supplying your pictures. In my opinion, it looks like and sounds like you have a capsular contracture of the left breast. Physical exam will be the best determinant.  Please plastic surgeons for the most accurate recommendations.

Breast Augmentation / Breast Implants / Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/ Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

From your photos and description, it appears you may have developed capsular contracture in your left breast.  I would recommend that you follow up with your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz