Is it safe to have a tummy tuck in hospital one day, and a breast lift two days later at a surgery center?

My insurance is paying for a portion of my tummy tuck, so it must be done in the hospital. I will have some lipo to my upper abdomen and flanks at that time. I am also scheduled for a breast lift in the same doctor'so office two days later. I want to know if this is considered safe and will my results suffer by having the procedures on different days.

Tummy Tuck & Breast lift on different day

Congratulations on your upcoming tummy tuck, liposuction and breast lift. This is mommy makeover! Most of plastic surgeons would combine these procedure in a single session. Am sure there is a reason why your plastic surgeon prefer to split your surgery. If you trust your surgeon, you should feel comfortable discussing this with him or her. The best thing is to discuss these issue with your plastic surgeon. Good luck

Tummy Tuck, Breast Lift

Separating procedures is not unusual especially when the time required is longer that a specific amount  ~ 6 hours in most cases. The timing is a little unusual in my opinion and I would discuss this with my surgeon especially if this is of concern to you. I would lean toward either performing both procedures together or waiting at least 4-6 weeks for the healing process to progress after the tummy tuck and liposuction. After all there is no reason to rush. Best of luck with your procedures...

James E. Hardy, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

Im assuming there is a monetary reason for this plan. I would discuss this with your plastic surgeon. I would prefer to do them together.If  you  were to buck on the anesthesia tube with the second surgery, you could dislodge the sutures placed for the tummy tuck muscle tightening. If they have to be separate days wait at least 6 weeks in my opinion. Good luck

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Procedures in different days. Some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.

In my practice if the patient is in good health condition I suggest to perform both procedures in the same surgical time. In the case that is not possible to perform both together i prefer to wait at least 3 months between both procedures to avoid unnecessary risks. 

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Though staged procedures can commonly be scheduled for convenience, the biggest problem is risk of DVT - or deep venous thrombosis.   After certain procedures, patients are at increased risk for blood clots.   The situation is refers to Virchow's triad - three components of thrombosis or clots.   I would either have both procedures performed at the same time (if the surgeon thinks that he/she) can do it in an acceptable amount of time.   Or, I would stage them much further apart. 

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

Safe to have 2 procedures

It is safe in a healthy patient to have 2 procedures 2 days apart although in convenient. Presumably, the reason 2 segregate the 2 procedures is to make them more cost effective.  You may want to discuss the rationale with your surgeon.

Thank you for your question.  Though combining the procedures is a common practice today, one may also stage them, depending on the rationale and risk factors that you may have.  Assuming your surgeon and anesthesiologist have done the appropriate work up for you, this should be safe, but be aware that you may have significant discomfort this soon after your tummy tuck before having your breast lift performed.  

Safety combining surgeries.

I would generally recommend waiting longer than 2 days between surgeries.  But various factors come into play.  Discuss with your doctor.  Safety should be more important than convenience in elective cosmetic surgery.  Good luck.  

Dean Fardo, MD

Thank you for the question. You will find that it will not be possible to provide you with objective data regarding safety concerns given that most patients do not proceed as you are planning on proceeding. In other words, I do not know whether or not your risk factors increase given your plan on having significant surgery two days apart.

Having said that, in my practice, I would discourage you from doing so.  I would be concerned that the potential risks/complications such as deep venous thrombosis would be increased given your relative immobility around the time of the first operation.

Be careful with your decision-making; if in doubt, separate the operations by a longer period of time.  Best wishes.

Staged operation

Hi, tymeforme. Thanks for your question. Although combinations surgery at the same time would be better, you can undergo your procedures in stages.  Please select your plastic surgeon; I would have the same surgeon operate you for tummy tuck and breast lift.  Good luck with your surgery and recovery.