Do I need a diagnosis of limpoma before scheduling lump removal?

After an exam, my primary said my plum size lump in the area of my hamstring was probably a limpoa. She wrote orders for an ultrasound if I choose to know for sure. I have already been on this site because I plan to have a blepharoplasty and it occurred to me that I could do both procedures at the same time. My question is would the surgeon I choose prefer that I have the ultrasound results to know what they are dealing with prior to the surgery or is it really a non-issue?

Lipoma diagnosis

I think it is a great idea to undergo both blepharoplasty and lipoma removal at the same time. Most surgeons feel comfortable removing a lump from the subcutaneous tissue overlying your hamstring based on physical alone, but an ultrasound to confirm the depth and extent of the mass (including relationship to the underlying muscle) may be helpful in certain cases. Soft tissue masses in certain locations (shoulder for instance) or of a certain size (very large) may warrant needle biopsy before removal to rule out malignancy. But this is rare.

Good luck and take care.

Thank you for your excellent question.  In most cases a lipoma can be diagnosed by physical exam alone and does not require additional radiological testing. If the physical exam is equivocal then a radiological exam is a good confirmatory method. Hope this helps.