If a small reduction is all that is needed, would you recommend the anchor or the lollipop?

Recommendation Between Lollipop and Anchor Lift

A mastopexy or breast lift operation is designed to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used for breasts which sag or droop (ptosis). Sagging of the breasts may occur with normal development for some women, or as part of the aging process. Pregnancy, breast-feeding and weight loss are other conditions which increase breast ptosis. Some patients will have a better shape to their breast such as increased superior fullness if an implant is used at the time of mastopexy. The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height. I prefer to  use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring.

Anchor or lollipop?

The key to success lies in letting you surgeon know specifically what you would like to look like following the surgery. For example, how perky do you want to be, what shape do you want to have, etc.? . Here is a rule of thumb that works for most patients. If you nipple is above your lower breast crease then often a periareolar lift will be sufficient for most patients. If your nipple is at or below your crease then a vertical lift (lollipop lift), inverted T or anchor pattern may be required. The Lollipop incision for Grade 3 or 4 ptosis (areolar near or below your breast crease) works best in my hands and the use of a Lollipop technique can lift your breast to the perkiness you desire. However, other plastic surgeons are more comfortable with an inverted T or Anchor Pattern technique.The donut lift does tend to both flatten and have scars widened as you are removing skin around the areola which causes tension in that single area causing it to "spring' apart over time. With the Lollipop incision the tension is spread out over a greater distance of the lower vertical scar (where the areola once was) causing less tension on the areola and entire closure. The vertical lift tends to cone the breast making it more shapely (conical) and less flat. For a visual take a paper circle, cut out a small wedge on the bottom and bring the edges together to see this effect. In general I would pick the best Surgeon and explain fully what you want to achieve rather than the technique. Always choose a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

Small breast reduction

Thank you for your question.  I would suggest your first step would be to consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can help you with this determination.  There are many factors to look at to determine your best result.

Small reduction

Thank you for your question.  Generally speaking, small reductions can be achieved nicely with a lollipop incision. An exam would be required to determine your specific needs however.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Small reduction

The lollipop incision gives less scarring than the anchor, but is not appropriate for all women. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing your options.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Technique Choice For Breast Lift/Reduction

In my practice, I have several choices for breast lifts and reductions. The choices will be affected by size, shape, anatomy, skin type and patients desires. Note: only rarely do I need to perform an anchor scar technique.

1. Goes Lift reduction - a circumareolar scar lift and reduction. ideal for small lifts/reductions. The distance from the sternal notch to the nipple must be less than 25cm.
  2. LeJour Lift/Reduction - ideal lollipop scar technique with the best shape. can be performed on breast less than 35 cm's from sternal notch. Harder to learn so some surgeons do not offer it.
  3. Hall- Findlay Lift Reduction - a lollipop scar lift reduction with less than ideal shape gut easy to perform and fast as well.
  4. Anchor scar reduction - ideal for those great than 35 CM's.

If you would like more information, please read my book "Cosmetic Breast Surgery - a complete Guide from A to Double D".

Robert M. Freund, MD

Breast Reduction: lollipop or anchor scar?

Thanks for your question.

It is difficult to answer without a proper examination.

For a small reduction both technique are possible based on yours and your surgeon preference. Usually  with a lollipop scar the final result can take a little bit longer and it can be used only if the amount of skin to be excised is not excessive.

With a well planned anchor scar the inferior scar will sit in the inframammary fold and it will not be visible.

Best Regards

Mr Netri

Giorgio Netri, MBBS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Breast incision options

Thanks for your inquiry, but without pictures, an exam, and measurements it is hard to advise on such technical consideration.  In general the horizontal component of an anchor incision is required, designed, performed to shorten the distance from the nipple to the fold and address loose breast envelop depending on your ptosis--however these traits can also be addressed in the vertical component as well.  Please seek an in person consultation to discuss.  Hope that helps and good luck.  

Incision type for breast lift

Thank you for your question.  The answer really depends on how much loose skin you have and how significant a lift is needed.  If you have a very long nipple to breast crease distance (>10-12cm), you may need a transverse incision to shorten this distance to a more normal, aesthetically pleasing distance (usually