Opinions on crown lengthening or gum contouring --gum lift?! (photos)

HATE my smile!!! Thinking about crown lengthing once my braces come off. But my teeth are tiny. They aren't chubby so I don't want them to just look long and skinny. Do you think it would look good? I hate my smile SOOOOOOO much!! Help!!!

Gummy Smile

Hi, thank you for your question and your photos. I see your concern with your description of tiny teeth and gummy smile. Orthodontics can help with your gummy smile depending on the reasons why you are undergoing braces. I would suggest that you discuss this with your orthodontist so he is aware you have a concern with your gummy smile and small teeth. There are many reasons why you can have small teeth and a gummy smile and you should be evaluated by a periodontist so they smile design for you. Good luck to you!

Gum lift to correct a smile

Well, I think you have a great smile, KaraMichelle, and it brings out your spunky personality. However, having said that, your teeth look like they have not fully erupted (Altered Passive Eruption) and there probably is still a good 30% of your teeth buried in your gums. What we are looking for when we ask for that "Hollywood Toothy Smile" is a better PROPORTION between your gums and your teeth. Having a crown lengthening will result in you seeing "more tooth" and "less gums" which is what I think you are really after. You will look even more sensational than you look now. Good luck :)

Herbert Veisman, DDS
Toronto Periodontist

Crown lengthening for sure

Your situation can be easily helped by an experienced surgeon. Crown lengthening will definitely be the most permanent solution and if done properly will not have a chance to rebound. It is important that the surgeon gives you examples of at least 10 other cases similar to yours that they have actually corrected. Take a look at some examples of gummy smile correction via the link below. There are descriptions and photos of gum contouring, veneers, crowns, and combinations of each. 

Parsa T. Zadeh, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist

Crown Lengthening: Concerned about appearance after the fact.

It appears you are a good candidate for laser gingivectomy.  I would suggest doing a little initially and seeing how you like it.  Doing it in steps prevents over-recontouring that is dificult if not impossible to reverse.Ira L Shapira DDS, D,ABDSM, D,AAPM, FICCMO