Will these under eye wrinkles and bags caused by Botox ever go away? Six months and counting. (photos)

I got botox in April. I went to a really well known and successful doctor; Missy Clifton. I woke up the next day with swelling in my upper lids, and bags under my eyes. I have lived with this nightmare every single day since. I now have wrinkles I never had before because of the bags, and am still suffering with the swelling. Is this ever going to wear off? Dr. Clifton did a light laser procedure around my eyes two weeks after, zero effect ! This has been hell on earth; please help!

Botox and Under Eye Wrinkles

The Botox you received is gone by now. Botox lasts 3-4 months. It is unlikely the swelling and wrinkles you are experiencing is related to Botox.  I suggest seeing an expert dermatologist.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Wrinkles caused by botox?

Hi Sterling80170,

Should your wrinkles be caused by botox, it should be gone or have recovered by now. Should it persist for another few months, then surgery may be necessary if it really concerns you.

Somyos Kunachak, MD
Thailand Facial Plastic Surgeon

Under eye Wrinkles, Botox gone

the Botox that you had should be long gone. It is unlikely that these wrinkles are related to the Botox that you had. It is possible that they were there before and that the way your eyes are wide open in photo and facial position in smooth photo is not equivalent to new photo. Look for some old photos where you are face front and smiling big. Also, if you have seasonal allergies you might be experiencing some swelling and wrinkling. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Undereye wrinkles and Botox

Honestly, at 6 months after the Botox injection, the Botox effects should have worn off and there should be no long term side effects. Undereye wrinkles and puffiness are common cosmetic concerns and in your case are probably unrelated to the Botox injection. I find combination treatments including Botox (small doses), fillers, energy based devices (such as a non-ablative laser) and microneedling combined with an optimal skincare regimen work best. 

Ending the Nightmare--Under-Eye Wrinkles/Bags Treatment with lasers, fillers, microneedling/prp

This may not be a result of the Botox at this point. I suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist with expertise. In my practice, lasers, fillers, microneedling/PRP do well to treat this condition. Best, Dr. Emer.

6 months since Botox

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Six months is too long to be experiencing a condition resulting from a Botox injection.  My advice is to seek care from a board certified plastic surgeon or certified injector.  Best of luck.

Bags after Botox

Your face will always return to its pre-Botox state eventually. You are at or beyond the limit of the duration of Botox. I have found that once a patient has a treatment around their eyes, they start finding more problems which they blame on the treatment, but were often pre-existing. They rarely believe me that these were pre-existing till I show them a pre-treatment photograph. You should find some photos of yourself before you had Botox to see if in fact your lower lid condition was present prior, but you just discovered it after Botox.

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox side effect

There are no permanent side effects of Botox and 6 months is really long to have a continuing problem. This should go away soon, but if it doesn't I suggest you see another physician as it sounds like you no longer trust the one you were seeing. Just be sure it is a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

New eye wrinkles after Botox

There should be no permanent effect from the Botox injections. However, after 6 months, there really should be no Botox left. If after another 3 months, this problem remains, you should address this area more aggressively with lasers, Infini, PRP, filler, or surgery.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Unusual Botox response

Sorry to hear about your issue. This is an unusual response. Botox should not increase wrinkles as it is a muscle relaxer. You may have had a reaction to the Botox that had not been described before. For now I would consider a chemical peel for the lower eye lids and maybe avoid Botox in the future. You can try other similar products like dysport. Good luck!

Satyen Undavia, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon