Fat Transfer Removal From Cheeks And Jaw, is It Possible?

Hello, 41 year old male here that had fat transferred to cheeks and jaw area, I never liked the results but lived with it, however as I get older my face looks worse, it is as if these fat grafts are weighing down my face. In addition the fat grafts look lumpy and my face looks bloated. I am desperate to know if there is anything that can be done to remove these fat grafts, I heard Ulthera can dissolve fat grafts but I am not sure. I miss the way my face used to look - lesson learned. Mark

Removal of Fat Grafts to Cheeks and Jaws

Depending on the severity of the contour irregularities micro-liposuction can be done to reduce the fullness caused by the injected fat. In more severe cases, like a patient recently referred to me, it is necessary to elevate the skin so the fat can be removed or redistributed as necessary under direct vision.

Fat Grafting to the face

First Ulthera does not go deeper than the skin thickness, therefore it does not work.

It sounds that the fat graft is migrating down with age and gravity.

I think a face lift is one option, once the face is opened and the flaps are elevated, soe of these lumps can be seen and removed, one way to remove safely is direct liposuction of the lumps, triming of the excess fat and rearrangement of the fat along with the SMAS will give you improvement.

Fat graft removal from the face.

Fat graft removal from the face is difficult to get an even result and that's why those of us who have been doing fat grafting for 35 years only do it conservatively and in certain instances. Removal of the lumpiness and sagging skin is best done with a facelift to evenly remove the fat and the excess skin.

Fat Transfer Correction

This is a good question Mark.  I realize it is 4 years ago.  If you have not solved your problem, there are things that can be done.  Each patient is unique and different.  I have corrected these problems in the face and it is possible to make an improvement.  The procedure of Fat Transfer in permanent and many physicians are not aware of this and therefore there are untoward results in different areas of the face.  Also, as we age, this must also be taken into account where the fat is placed  In my practice, I perform a lot of male surgery and fix problems as well.  This is a delicate area and again, individualized.  Sometimes, the removal can be performed conservatively, and sometimes it requires more invasive techniques, such as opening your face.  In either case, the surgeon must be skilled in both adding fat, and then removing fat.  It should be part of his practice.

Walton Montegut, MD
Newport Beach Physician

Fat transfer removal

Ulthera will not remove fat grafting. You may need a face and neck lift to reposition the sagging tissues and perhaps "reshaping" of the face to improve the overall appearance.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD