Fat Transfer Nodules in Face

Dear Doctors, I had fat transfer to my face nearly ten years ago Years ago i noticed that i had formed a nodule slightly below my left lip cornerthat it looked like a jowl. The plastic surgeon examined me and told me that there was nothing he could do to remove the nodule as it was very close to the main artery .Are there any ways to remove this fat nodule? Would having another fat transfer make both sides of the face equal? Would sculptra treatment interact with the fat nodule? Please help!

Doctor Answers 6

Fat transfer nodule

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Raima,

I would get a second opinion if it bothers you so much.  If you go to an experienced fat transfer surgeon, he should be able to help you out.  I agree with the other docs, that there are a variety of safe techniques to remove fat and I am sure you can be accommodated somehow after a thorough examination.


Nima Shemirani

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 84 reviews

Fat nodule might require sequential treatmet

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is the problem with fat. Albeit a great filler, it can stay on and on for years. Most importantly is that it acts the same way as it's original donor site. Meaning, take it from the abdomen, get fat with time, the fat in your face that was injected will get fat too. That's why it has fallen out of favor by a lot of dermatologists, and that says a lot. What can be done? Intralesional triamcinalone my be injected in the area. The steroid can cause death of fat cells and slow dissolution. I would highly advise you to see a dermatologist for that. If too strong a concentration is used, then a divid can form (which can be corrected by fillers if necessary. In some countries, other agents containing phosphatidylcholine and deoxycholic acid may be injected. Safety and efficacy have not been seen in trials, only in case reports.

Hassan Galadari, MD
Dubai Dermatologist

Nodule may be from fat grafting

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If examination determines that this nodule is an abundance of fat in one place, then microliposuction may help. It is possible that corticosteroid injections might help induce fat atrophy, but the risk is that it may cause an excessive reduction and you may develop a crater which would then need to be filled in.  capillary blood vessels can be created in the skin surface as a result of the steroid injections, and these might need to be treated by V-beam laser to help lessen their appearance. Excessive cotricosteroid doses can have systemic effects so make sure  you discuss all the risks with your physician.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

You might also like...

Fat grafting, facial contouring, #fat transfer, #restylane, #tissue contouring, #beauty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Raima in Manchester,

Thank you for your question.Grafted fat can be managed in several ways- micro liposuction, steroid injection, or placement of filler around a contour deformity. Please seek another opinion- Dr. Inglefield in London is an expert.

With Warm Regards,

Dr. Trevor M Born

Trevor M. Born, MD
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 126 reviews

Nodule in face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is very difficult to answer this question without an examination.  Was it a fully qualified plastic surgeon who examined you (FRCS(Plast)) as I find it odd that they would say that they couldn't remove it as it was close to an artery?

Look at the BAPRAS and BAAPS website to find a plastic surgeon and perhaps get a second opinion, preferably from someone specialising in the face with experience of fat transfer.  Good luck.

Fat nodules

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If it is fat/scar nodule, there are some injections that can help soften it or significantly improve it.  You might also be able to camouflage it by filling around it, if possible.

Dr Taban

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 88 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.