Fat Transfer in Phalloplasty Surgery. Does It Yield The Same Results As Fat Transfer to the Face?

Does fat transfer in phalloplasty have the same permanent results as fat transfer to the face? Some phalloplasty surgeons such as Dr. Stephen Giunta uses a platelet rich plasma and some stem cell method to increase the take of the fat to add girth to the penis. Would this be a part of the body where there is a high absorption rate? His website says 80-90% of the fat survives long term.

Phalloplasty

Like all plastic operations this has improved over the years from the fat, bumpy, mushroom results orf a few years ago...this is a boutique operation only performed by few surgeons. It sems to satisfy some of the men who have it done.

Penile enhancement

Fat Transfer to penis causes lumpiness i most of the cases.

Use alloderm to increase the girth. Much more expensive since alloderm is about $ 2000 a piece.

Phalloplasty Penis Enlargement Surgery Myths and Truths Fat Grafting versus other methods

There are many methods out there for enlarging the size of the penis.  Unfortunately most yield horrific results.  I personally steer patients away from techniques that involve large incisions and dissection such as ligament transection, v-y pasty and z pasty techniques as I have had to reconstruct patients who suffered poor results elsewhere.  Pathologic scarring can lead to painful erections and make sexual intercourse impossible.  The use of silicone, implants, Alloderm, Sculptra, Radiuses also assure future complications and should be avoided at all cost.  I perform phalloplasty with special type of fat grafting.  The truth about fat grafting stem cells and graft take is that it is 100% technique dependent and adding PRP growth factors or stem cell enrichment techniques do not make up for poor technique and do not enhance good technique.  Just lie anything else, doing it right takes more time and expertise.  Most practitioners offering fat grafting to the penis are not plastic surgeons and do not have the training or experience to understand the technical details necessary for success.  The important key points are #1 low suction pressure #2 fine small hole canulas and #3 atraumatic technique with minimal handling and processing.  Each one of these points adds time and complexity to the operation and most are unwilling to respect them.  Thus most practitioners use high suction forces with large canulas and centrifuge to concentrate fat.  This leads to lumps of damaged fat that cannot receive blood supply and eventually necrose, calcify and cause nodules.  I have been performing fat transfer phalloplasty for five years and have never had lumps or poor take.  The results are lasting and safe.  

Many different types of practitioners try to capitalize on this procedure so be careful and do your research!
I hope this helps!

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Fat Transfer in Phalloplasty Surgery

If done correctly fat transfers in Phalloplasty will look natural, but if donw incorrectly you may have lumps in the face.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

"Platelet rich plasma" and "stem cell" method

The science behind "platelet rich plasma and stem cell method" is currently severely lacking currently.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon