Am I a Good Candidate for Lower Face Fat Injections? (photo)

hi, as you can see in my pics i have included, i have a loss of facial volume in my lower face. I already have a chin implant and would like to do something to fill out my lower face to give it a 'plump' appearance and to slightly widen the lower cheek/mandible. Im interested in something long lasting, such as jaw implants and/or fat injections. please give any advice to help balance my sunken face. thanks in advance. the last picture shows what I would want to look like in the lower face.

Doctor Answers 5

Female jaw line fat vs. implant.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

No fat grafts or fillers! Your need a chin implant revision. Your implant looks too low and does not extend laterally enough. See an experienced plastic surgeon to do this.

Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Lower Face Fat Injections

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Fat injections or placement of a longer chin implant could provide the fullness you desire along your jawline. A careful examination of your facial contours would be helpful in determining reasonable alternatives.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Fat Injections to the Lower Face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question and photograph.  I would want to see more photos and learn a little more about your jaw and chin implant before telling you of all the posibilities.  There may be a combination of techniques including fat transfer that could help achieve a better balance to your lower face.  I often augment the chin  or jaw with cancellous bone chips.  These bone chips have been treated so they have no live cells in them. They serve as a scaffold for new bone growth in the area, so your own bone replaces the grafted material..  They are often used by oral surgeons for people with bone loss around their teeth or by orthopedic surgeons in difficult fractures.  They offer flexibility that preformed chin implants lack.  There are many possibilities for you.

Mary Lee Peters, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 117 reviews

Consider getting a new chin implant

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for the pics. Certainly various injections could be used like juvederm, artefill, fat, etc. to enhance the areas around the implant to provide a "wider" chin-jaw as seen in the third picture. Each of these would have there potential advantages and disadvantages.

In looking at your first picture though my thoughts would be more in line with recommending a different chin implant for you - one that is less projecting in the center and that has "arms" that can extend out to the side along the jaw line.  This would enhance the areas of your concern without overdoing it (ie. getting a "manly" chin-jaw). Looks like from the first pic you have nicely rounded cheeks and IMHO i think sharpening and refining your chin-jaw instead of widening it would result in a nicer aesthetic balance.

Good luck to you!

Kamran Jafri, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting to lower face

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are a few options for you that can help volumize the lower face.  Fat grafting is one option.  The other option is ArteFill injections.

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 231 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.