Fat Grafting to the Breast to Improve Rippling?
Doctor Answers 6
Factors that are associated with increased rippling include:
- Traditional Saline implants (IDEAL® Saline implants less likely)
- Textured implants
- Large implants
- Thin patients with low BMI
- Implants placed above the muscle
- Prior history of rippling
- Heavier and larger breasted women
- Using a highly cohesive form-stabile silicone implants (gummy bear)
- Smooth implants
- Smaller implants
- Submuscular placement
Breast Implant Rippling and Folds Can be Improved with Fat Grafting
Thank you for your question.
In my experience Fat Grafting works very well to correct surface irregularities, Rippling and Folds in patients with Breast Implants.
This avoids the need to do open surgery which is a distinct advantage.
Be sure to find someone who has experience with this relatively new technique.
We use the Adivive Fat Harvesting System to improve the viability of the Fat Cells that are harvested
Rippling with breast implants
Another is what you have already tried, a dermal matrix sheet between the breast and the implant where the rippling is visible to blunt the impression of the implant on the overlying skin. I would revisit with your plastic surgeon to see there is benefit to place additional dermal matrix medially.
You might also like...
Fat grafting versus form stable implant
Its sounds like you have already done most of what is available to you to reduce the rippling or implant visibility including having the implant under the muscle and the use of acellular dermal martix. Your options that remain include fat grafting which can work well when performed properly, gaining weight which is never really an option than any patient opts for :), and the use of form stable implants. Implants such as mentors 410 implant is form stable which means that it is firmer and maintains its shape no matter what position it is in. It tends to have less folding irregularities since it is firmer. It does requires a very specific pocket to be created and this may no longer be an option for you but I did want you to know about it. The implant is set to be released for general use in the very near future.
All the best,
Dr Remus Repta
Textured breast implants increase your risk of rippling.
1) Skilfully done fat grafting will definitely help with rippling. But I have two questions.
2) Do you have "moderate" profile implants? These are mislabeled (don't ask why; it is a political issue with the FDA). They are really under-filled low profile implants which can produce rippling. If you do, switching to "moderate PLUS" (the real moderate profile) implants or to high profile implants can correct rippling.
3) Do you have textured implants? These also increase rippling, and I would suggest switching to smooth-walled implants.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.