I have Fibroadenoma in my left breast. Can I still get a breast augmentation? I had a biopsy done.

Yes and maybe a treatment

Fibroadenoma is common and benign.  They are worrying because it's a lump and sometimes painful.  Sometimes they can be removed during the breast augmentation.  Bring it up with your surgeon during consultation.

Breast Augmentation: Information

Dear Ms. Ami1992,

Thank you for your story and questions.

Nothing substitutes for a personal evaluation, a review of your medical history/medications and a face to face discussion of your options.

Unfortunately with out photos and a exam of your tissues I can can only comment based your story, however I hope you find my comments helpful.

Short answer: A benign Fibroadenoma is a common tumor and usually  should not preclude you from a breast enhancement surgery.

I recommend that you schedule several consultative appointments with Plastic Surgeons who are experienced and Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. In addition ideally they are members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

I wish you my best and success,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Yes, you can have a breast augmentation if there is a fibroadenoma of the breast.  Be sure to consult with  a breast doctor before your augmentation since the location and size of it may be important considerations.

Tim Neavin, MD

Yes it is perfectly ok to have a breast augmentation if you have a fibroadenoma. It sounds like you had a biopsy so the most important thing is that you have preoperative confirmation that it is not a malignant lesion and that you have a mammogram. Otherwise you should be good to go, but as usual consult with your local team of medical specialist who may have more details about your case that we may not know for your final answer. 

Richard J. Brown, MD

Fibroadenoma and breast augmentation

Fibroadenomas are the most common breast masses in younger women and there is no contraindication to having a breast augmentation. If the breast surgeon has no concerns and your biopsy site is well healed you should be fine to proceed if all involved agree.
Good luck!

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and fibroadenoma of the breast

A biopsy-proven fibroadenoma is not a contraindication for breast augmentation. This is a benign lesion, not cancer. I've taken care of women who have had this and they've done quite well. Good luck to you.

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Yes, breast augmentation with a biopsy proven benign tumor that is not going to require therapy, such as a small fibroadenoma, should be OK.  If it is large and is going to be excised, I'd probably wait until healed before choosing a final implant size and plan.  

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

Fibroadenoma f breast and augmentation

Thank you for your question. The short answer is yes. I would recommend you talk to a breast surgeon as well as a plastic surgeon before surgery. You should also continue to follow the examination and mammogram schedule as you are doing. Good luck. 

Neil T. Chen, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Breast aug and fibroadenoma

As long as the lesion is proven to be benign and recommendations from your breast surgeon have been followed, a breast augmentation could be done. Please seek a board certified plastic surgeon for consultation.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Fibroadenoma and breast augmentation

You can absolutely still have breast augmentation surgery with a history of biopsy proven fibroadenoma. If you have a family history of breast cancer then it is important that you have a baseline mammogram at the appropriate age. Placing the implants below the muscle will help with detection of any abnormalities on routine mammographic screening. I highly recommend being examined by a board certified plastic surgeon who performs many cosmetic breast procedures. The fibroadenoma can usually also be removed at the time of the breast augmentation depending on its location.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon