Held in a sneeze 14 days after septorhinoplasty and turbinate reduction? Is damage likely from this?

14 days post rhinoplasty I felt the urge to sneeze, though I had felt this before and it went a way on its own. This time, however, it didn't, and I felt the force of the "sneeze" but suppressed it so nothing came out. What I should have done was sneeze with my mouth open as my surgeon instructed, but for whatever reason, my silly self did not do that. Now I'm worried that the force of withholding the sneeze has caused damage. I don't see blood but I do feel liquid up my nose (maybe mucus).

Sneeze post surgery

If you did not notice any changes after the sneeze such as increased pain, swelling, etc, it is unlikely you caused any harm.  However, if you did note any of these changes, it is best to schedule a follow up with your surgeon. 

2 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

It's too early to make value judgments with only 1 week after a rhinoplasty. Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity. In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months. To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you. Kind regards,  Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplasty

Short answer- Don't worry- you should be fine-

Sneezing or anything that increases air pressure in the nose is to be avoided right after nasal surgery. One concern is that you would direct air between the incisions into the tissues of the nose leaving air below the skin. Lots of excessive high pressure air could also disrupt carefully placed grafts. That said, it is very unlikely that a single sneeze at two weeks out will lead to any significant issues. I actually allow my patients to start gently blowing their nose by two weeks.

Please follow up with your surgeon to confirm there are no issues, but you really should be fine,

Mark Hamilton, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon