What's wrong with my eye? And is there any way to fix this? (photos)

When I would be taking pictures I would notice that my left eye would sagging and small. For a while I thought I had a lazy eye but when I went to go get my eyes checked for glasses he said that it wasn't a lazy eye. It's my eyelid. What would my condition be called? And is there any way to fix it without surgery. Also if I have to have surgery please tell me the cost

Doctor Answers 5

What's wrong with left eye?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This photograph is taken at close range in upgaze and therefore, the eyes are convergent. You may not have a problem. A photo in primary gaze (straight ahead) at a little greater distance would be helpful. If anything, you might have a very mild relative ptosis. A consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon would be helpful with diagnosis and options for management. Best wishes.

Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

What's wrong with my eye?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
It appears you either have left upper eyelid ptosis or left eye is sunken or combination. Best to see an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. It appears that you have ptosis, in which case, a blepharoplasty will not be able to provide you relief for your sagging and smaller left eye. I suggest that you consult with a board certified oculoplastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 124 reviews

This is left upper eyelid ptosis.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Ptosis is corrected surgically.  See a fellowship trained oculoplastic surgeon to assess you.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive surgery maintains a regional directory on their website that can assist you to find a qualified surgeon close to home.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for sharing your question and photo. You have mild ptosis (drooping) of the eyelid. You should have an in-person comprehensive evaluation by an Oculoplastic Surgeon. There are a few methods for correcting your problem.  Good luck,

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.