ARTAS - am I a candidate? (Photo)

I feel fuzz on my scalp. I'm 68 yrs. female. Am I a candidate?

Female Candidaty for Artas Procedure

I encourage you to have a consultation with a doctor.  Only the physician performing the procedure can determine if they would take the case.  This is a cosmetic procedure and if there isn't enough donor to make a cosmetic change in your appearance &/or your donor is not stable, you are likely not a good candidate for the procedure.  Visit with a doctor and find identify causation!

Overland Park Phlebologist

Artas Candidate

I usually do not recommend the FUE procedure for female patients.  However, based on your photos you should see an experienced doctor who specializes in hair loss to find the cause of your hair loss before considering surgery

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Female Patient

You need to have an in person 1:1 consultation with an experienced hair transplant surgeon in order to determine exactly your needs and what can be done for you.

Scott F. Alexander, MD
Phoenix Hair Restoration Surgeon

Severe Diffuse Hair Loss in a Woman wanting ARTAS

It looks from the pictures that you have provided that you have severe diffuse hair loss throughout your entire head including the hair line, frontal, mid-scalp, crown and even the sides and back of the head.The most urgent step is to make a diagnosis, I would recommend a scalp biopsy. This will differentiate between Female Pattern Hair Loss Ludwig III and Alopecia Incognita. Close in person evaluation would include dermoscopy. Furthermore, I would recommend that you undergo a complete blood work up. Treatment regimen would be dependent on work up results. Surgical option is not indicated due to the extensive nature of the hair thinning in the donor area so ARTAS or any other procedure is contra-indicated at this time. Please do not despair I have seen some very severe cases that have improved with treatment. Wishing you all the very best of luck,

Bernardino A. Arocha, MD, Diplomate of ABHRS, Fellow of ISHRS

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE for female hair loss

Female pattern hair loss is becoming more prevalent in the past few years.  You need to be examined to find the cause for the hair loss and make sure you are a good candidate for hair transplant surgery. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

ARTAS - Am I a Candidate for Hair Transplant

Female hair loss is a little more challenging than typical male patterned hair loss to diagnose and to treat.  It is good to find a good hair transplant surgeon with plenty of experience with female hair loss.  He/she can evaluate your scalp/hair including a microscopic evaluation to determine whether you have preserved hair on the back and sides of your scalp.  Women with preserved hair on the donor area (male patterned baldness) can restore the balding areas using permanent hair from back and side of scalp.  

If you are a woman with significant miniaturization acceding to scalp microscopic evaluation (miniaturization study), hair transplant is not for you and you may benefit from other medical treatments for hair loss.

After determining the candidacy for a hair transplant, you can choose the technique of harvesting and transplanting hair with your doctor.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

You need to see a doctor for an examination before you can find out if you are a candidate for any type of surgery.

You need to see a doctor for an examination before you can find out if you are a candidate for any type of surgery.  ARTAS is only a tool (or a robot) that harvests hairs from the back of your scalp.  If your exam shows good donor hair you may be a candidate.  Your photo of the back of your head is not very encouranging.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

ARTAS - am I a candidate?

With your diffuse pattern of loss, you are not a candidate. You might wish to see a physician specializing in hair loss to discuss both diagnosis and treatment.

Is Artas good for me?

The robotic system called Artas can work on you,  however the robot needs darker looking hair stubs and we dye the hair black to achieve that.  You have finer hair and would need medical treatments like PRP, topical medications,  and low level laser to thicken the hair fiber diameter for thicker looking hair. 

Omeed Memar, MD, PhD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

I'm afraid it may be too late...

The real issue is that you have very diffuse hair loss.  It doesn't matter what technique you use, you don't have enough "donor hair" to make much of a dent on covering your entire scalp.  Unfortunately, Propecia does not work for women either, so there aren't a lot of good medical therapies.  good luck.

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon