Difference between moderate plus and high profile implants? I wanted a full look, would moderate plus have been better?

I recently under went BA three weeks ago and I have 400cc high profile silicone implants. I'm 28 with 2 kids 5'7" 125 pounds, and was a 34A prior to surgery. When I went for my consultation I tried on sizers and I advised the nurse that I was looking for a nice full chest size, full C to a small D, she advised when I'm trying the sizes on to pick a size that I feel comfortable in. I've been going through a little bit of "boob greed" and I don't have as much cleavage as I would have liken.

Wait before deciding about implant size change

It is still early in your post op period and your implants are in a good size range for someone with your frame. Going too big can cause  more problems so it is best to wait. Implant profiles are described differently so comparing the terms is more complicated that it used to be.

Cleavage and Implant Profile

A high profile implant, if appropriately fitted for your breast width (base diameter), usually gives a little more prominent cleavage and breast fullness than a moderate plus profile implant.  To some degree the amount of cleavage achievable with breast augmentation is limited by the patient's anatomy, particularly if the implant is under the muscle.  It's difficult to say without examining you or at least reviewing photos if either your fullness or cleavage concerns would have been better achieved with a moderate plus profile implant.

"Buyer's remorse"

A very high percentage of women after their implant surgery experience "buyer's remorse".  They regret not:

• Going bigger
  • Going smaller
  • Going above the muscle
  • Going below the muscle
  • Choosing a different implant style
  • Choosing a different implant incision

You get the idea!  This is very common and 95% of the time after all the swelling and adjusting to the new look is over, the women DO NOT choose to revise the procedure.  You went through a very thorough pre operative consultation and selection process, the implants chosen were not randomly picked, trust yourself and your judgement.  Give it six months, if you are still unhappy, then proceed with the revision, but my money will be on a happy patient and no revision!

Good Luck! 

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

"Boob greed"...

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you are experiencing after breast surgery. Given that you are early out of surgery, it is quite likely that you are experiencing significant “emotional ups and downs” unnecessarily. A significant percentage of patients at your stage of recovery will feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too small. I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image.

For example, many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting. Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. 

Although online consultants cannot predict whether or not you will be pleased with the long-term outlook, of the procedure performed, it is safe to predict that the breasts will change. Do your best to stay emotionally even keeled.  I would suggest continued patience and continued close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

For the benefit of other women considering breast augmentation surgery:  BEFORE undergoing the breast procedure it is very important for patients to communicate size goals carefully with their surgeons. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) are very helpful. Bra sizers and computer imaging are also helpful visual aids. On the other hand, I have found that the use of words such as “full breasts” or “C or D cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

in regards to "cleavage concerns", patients undergoing breast augmentation should understand that their anatomical starting point will play a significant role in the outcome that they can expect with breast augmentation surgery.   If the patient starts out with a significant distance between the breasts, there are limits as to how close of "cleavage" can be achieved.  If over dissection (when developing breast implant pocket) occurs in the cleavage area, with the goal being to achieve as close as possible cleavage per patient's request, patients may experience significant problems such as breast implant displacement (medial  malposition or symmastia) and/or significant breast implant rippling/palpability.  Obviously, these types of problems may require revisionary breast surgery to correct. 

Also, keep in mind, that each nipple/areola complex must remain centered on each breast mound after surgery.  Again, careful dissection of the breast implant pocket and appropriate selection of breast implant size/width/profile will also play a role when it comes to how close the cleavage area will be postoperatively (and the overall shape/symmetry of the breasts). Careful measurement/dimensional planning plays a big role in this regard.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with longer-term.

Your surgeon should have selected the style implant

and you focused on the volume.  Yes, the most common complaint in my practice after  having augmentation is 'I wish I went larger' but you're still much fuller and hopefully the cleavage will become what you want it to.  If you wanted less distance between the mounds, wider implants do better but some surgeons are very reluctant to exceed your natural base dimension (but they have to on tubular breasts) so some just don't.  My patients size and chose the volume to provide the look they like and I choose the implant style based on chest measurement and I've been very happy with outcomes.

Curtis Wong, MD

Photos for better advices

Thanks for the question. all depends in the wishes of the patients. I recommend you to send your photos to us to give you the advices you need and want. Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD