I had a consultation with a plastic surgeon who does approximately 2-4 Facelifts a month. Is that enough? (photos)

Full face lift with fat graft in cheeks , bletharplasty with some fat removal . How many face lifts should a plastic surgeon have performed and do I need a facial plastic surgeon?

Facelift

It is a good thing you are asking questions of a prospective plastic surgeon.  It sounds like the surgeon has ben honest with you. By viewing many, many before and after images, you can have evidence that a plastic surgeon has experience performing facelift surgery. It then is up to you to determine whether or not a surgeon shares your aesthetic ideal. Some people prefer a look that doesn't look like surgery. other people want a result that is, in my opinion, more severe and extreme. Once you find a plastic surgeon with results that are appealing to you, check their educational background, experience and safety record. Know who else will be in the OR and involved in patient care. Have an understanding about post operative care and appointments. The video below could be helpful in providing a list of questions to ask before making this very important decision. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

How many facelifts should a surgeon have done before they are sufficiently experienced?

The critical things in performing good facelifting surgery are

1 The ability to listen to the patient and understand what they seek.

2 A thorough practiced understanding of facial anatomy and how this is effected by the ageing process

3 A meticulous approach to tissue handling with an emphasis on precision rather than speed

4 A full armamentarium of techniques that can be selectively applied to meet the different requirements for the many differences in the ageing process in different individuals

5  An obsessional devotion to quality rather than quantity and an enjoyment of the art

All truly devoted facelifting surgeons would consider that they are still learning new things about how the face ages and what to do about it. We attend meetings devoted to the subject even though we have been performing the surgery for many years and may have done many hundreds or even thousands of facelifts. The precise number of operations is much less important than the care and attention with which they are performed. It is a bit like the difference between fast food and good food, the big fast food chains churn out many thousands of meals whilst the great restaurants produce just a few, I know which I prefer. That said a great chef takes many years and lots of experience to master their art. It needs to be good experience starting with good training followed by regular practise and frequent updates and appraisal of results. There needs to be variety, not just endless repetition of exactly the same operation in a " one size fits all " approach. There needs to be peer review and criticism and an endless pursuit of doing it better. A good sign is if the surgeon genuinely enjoys what they are doing rather than just marketing themselves for financial gain.

So how many is enough? twenty well performed facelifts per year are much better than fifty rushed "face-tweaks"

How many years experience? Most surgeons take a decade or so from completing their training to reaching their optimum balance between experience and dexterity. This sweet spot may last two or occasionally three decades  but eventually with ageing the skills start to slip even though the experience continues to expand.

I had a consultation with a plastic surgeon who does approximately 2-4 facelifts a month. Is that enough?

Both facial plastic surgeons and plastic surgeons perform facelift procedures. More importantly is to look at your surgeon's before and after photo gallery to get an idea of the caliber of their work. Make sure their photo gallery is extensive. It's important to find a surgeon who performs a very natural look that rejuvenates the face. In our practice, we perform a lower face and neck lift which accomplishes tightening loose facial and neck skin, tightening loose facial and neck muscles, removal of fatty deposits in the neck, and lifting the jowls. A blepharoplasty procedure can also be performed at the same time under the same anesthetic along with the same recovery period. For more information and many examples of both procedures, please see the link and the video below

Consultation for Facelift and Eyelid Surgery.

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts.  From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), jowls are present and I suspect that the chin is weak with some degree of ptosis.  These factors combine to create an elongated, rectangularly, shaped face. The Brows appear to be quite low with excess fat and skin of the upper, excess fat in the lower eyelids.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

"Jowls” are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

A Brow Lift should be performed in concert with upper eyelid surgery (Blepharoplasty).  If the upper eyelid fullness shown is removed with an upper eyelid surgery alone, this will result in lowering the eyebrows further.   

Hope this helps.

Best facelift surgeons

The performance of a facelift is a true art form and no 2 surgeons are alike, nor will they give you the same result. So, it is critical that you go to the best person you can find. Both Plastic Surgeons as well as Facial Plastic Surgeons are trained to do this surgery. You should see very many photos of their work, especially in someone who is similar to you. They should ideally have done at least 500 and do 20-50 or more each year. That way, you know it is a specialty of theirs, not just something they do occasionally.

Does a surgeon who does 2-4 facelifts a month have enough experience?

I suspect you will get varied responses from your question, but in my opinion, a surgeon who does 2-4 facelifts a month should be perfectly qualified to perform the procedure.  After performing a certain number of facelifts, enough experience is usually obtained to perform the procedure well throughout a surgeon's career.  There are good facial plastic surgeons and good plastic surgeons, so I would say it is more important to find a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon you feel comfortable with and who has the experience to perform your procedures.    

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is 2-4 facelifts a month enough?

Thanks for your question!  As long as he is board-certified and has a collection of before and after photos to show you that you like, that is more than enough facelifts to do in a month.  If you are unsure, you can always go on a second consultation with another plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Scott C. Lindsay, DO
Reading Plastic Surgeon

Facelifting

The number of facelifts per month is not in itself a good predictor of outcome. 2-4 facelifts a month is a reasonable number of facelifts. I would concentrate on the results your PS has achieved by looking at his/her pre and postop results.  

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Facelift Surgeons

Thank you for your question, surgeons who specialise in facelift procedures would typically be performing 70-100 a year.  Please make sure you find a reputable and qualified plastic surgeon who can assess you properly to give you a realistic idea of what outcome you can achieve.  Ensure you look at their before and after pictures to get a feel if the results are what you wish to achieve.  All The Best 

Consultation with plastic surgeon

If you feel that your face does not reflect how young you feel on the inside, a facelift may be the solution to help you look and feel younger. During your consultation, your doctor will evaluate your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure. Based on this evaluation, he/she will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. Your doctor should make sure you have a full understanding of what results to expect.Always insist on a board certified surgeon!