Hello, I wanted to know if upper eyelid surgery was a good procedure? (photos)

Is it bulging fat or if you could determine if it may be a cause from a medical condition and I didn't need to consider surgery...

Upper eyelid blepharoplasty

Fullness of the upper eyelid may be caused by prolapse of the fat pads, excess skin, or - in the lateral area - prolapse of the lacrimal gland. An oculoplastic surgeon could help you with the diagnosis and the treatment whether it is skin, fat pads, lacrimal gland or another medical condition. I would encourage you to see an oculoplastic surgeon for a more detailed examination of the lids and orbit. Upper eyelid surgery - the general term, blepharoplasty - is a good and predictable procedure that may be done electively unless you happen to have a medical condition and need surgery more promptly. The recovery is usually straightforward, but does require some restriction of activies and topical care. Best wishes with your decision.

Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid surgery

A profile picture is ok but other views would be helpful as well. If you are concerned about your eyes, then a consult in person seems reasonable.

Upper eyelid surgery

Upper eyelid blepharopasty is a wonderful procedure to remove excess skin and make the eyes appear more open and less tired. Its difficult to tell from the one picture you have provided to see how well you would benefit so your best option would be to get a consultation and evaluation. 

Options to further contour and improve the upper eyelid features include removing skin only, removing skin and muslce and removing some fat as well as skin and muscle. Sometimes on the outer part of the eye, the lacrimal-tear gland is prominent and that may be another consideration during surgery. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Upper eyelid fullness

Fullness in the upper eyelid can be caused by many different conditions and you're right, some don't require surgery. You probably have a combination of excess skin, slight fat herniation, and genetic predisposition. Thyroid conditions must also be explored as they are a common medical cause for eye fullness. I would recommend scheduling an appointment with a board certified surgeon. A good physical exam and thorough history can help narrow your options. Good luck!

Justin Cohen, MD
Washington DC Otolaryngologist