Sienta textured round breast implants. Do they not drop as much as other implants? Will the size decrease size due to swelling?

Hi there! I had a breast augmentation 3 weeks ago and chose sientra textured round implants. Based on my research they do not drop as much as other types of implants. Is this true? Also, can the patient expect the size to decrease due to swelling with this type of implant? Finally I also for Lipo, I feel I've gotten bigger I see no improvements at all! Is this normal?? Thank you!

Sientra Textured Breast Implants

The Sientra textured breast implants sometimes remain swollen a little longer than the smooth breast implants. Their texturing creates more friction with the surrounding tissue, so they are not as mobile.

The amount of swelling after breast augmentation surgery can vary tremendously from person to person, so it's difficult to predict how much the size will decrease in an individual patient. One clue is if the breast skin is smooth and shiny--then there is still quite a bit of swelling.

Liposuction surgery results in swelling during the postoperative period. It isn't unusual to feel larger and heavier until after the swelling subsides. I tell my patients I guarantee I did indeed take fat out, and I didn't put any in. :)

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Sientra Implants and Swelling/Dropping

A breast augmentation with Sientra breast implants is really not much different than any other breast augmentation with other implants in terms of swelling after surgery and dropping after surgery.  Swelling is usually 80% resolved at 3 weeks and the remaining 20% can take another 3 months to go completely.  I terms of "drop" most implants stay exactly where they were placed at the time of surgery but as the swelling on the top of the breast dissipates, there is an impression that the implant drops.  With heavier implants that are not textured there is a tendency for the skin of the lower portion of the breast to stretch the implant can look like it has dropped as a result.  Your Sientra breast implants should look and feel more natural as time passes.  This is because the scar around the texture will soften.  I am pretty sure you will love them at 3 months.I hope that helps.Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Textured implants will not drop or "settle" over time to any great degree.

Since textured implants are designed to adhere to the tissues, they really do not drop or settle over time. But the surgically-operated tissues do stretch, swelling goes down, and your breasts will change, sometimes fairly dramatically. Since your surgeon used textured implants in you, I hope the position chosen was very close to the ideal post-operative position needed, since textured implants do not drop as smooth implants do. Surgeons who use both types of implants must really perform two different operations (with regard to implant positioning) with each type of implant surface.

Surgical swelling does indeed resolve over time (with any type of implant), but the amount of swelling is much more dependent on the surgeon's technique (or lack thereof) than choice of smooth or textured implants

But any positional asymmetry will likely remain pretty much as it is now, since any implant "dropping or settling" will be minimal if at all, and should be similar for each side.

As to liposuction swelling--there are only small incisions, but the area of surgical trauma is significant, and the swelling that accompanies this is equally significant. Especially if you were already "close" to your ideal size, swelling can obscure early results. I too tell my patients what Dr. Furnas does: "I only REMOVE fat, I promise not to add anything." Unless, of course, I'm fat grafting other areas. Your liposuction areas will show improvement over 4-6 months, and you must diet and exercise during that time to avoid re-depositing fat in the areas of higher metabolic activity (those that are healing).

Keep in touch with your surgeon--you sound as if you're doing well, but only your surgeon can assess your actual progress or deal with any dissatisfaction. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after sientra breast implants

Swelling at 3 weeks is common with either textured or smooth implants. It varies per person. Textured implants may take longer to "settle" so hang in there and keep your plastic surgeon advised of any concerns. 
Liposuction will take a full 8 weeks before you see your final shape.  Hang in there!

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Sientra breast implants

You will be swollen after the liposuction. It takes time to see your result.

Textured implants do not tend to drop as much - the texture holds them in place.
You will see the usual decrease in size as surgical swelling subsides. Best wishes.

Sientra Implants Dropping

Thank you for your question! The textured surface of the Sientra implant has small indentations that promote tissue growth into the implant itself. The growth of this tissue acts as an anchor offering support, stability and predictability during the placement of the implant and is intended to prevent potential migration or “dropping” of the implant over time.

You can expect to generalized swelling to the breast after an augmentation. The breast may appear swollen or fuller and seem to sit very high on the chest initially. You will see improvement within the first two weeks. Typically the implants will be 90% settled at 6-8 weeks and begin to feel very natural.

Scott Chapin, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Sientra Implants

To answer your question. Yes textured implants do take longer to "settle". They really do not settle the purpose of texture is to hold position. They will be swollen some initially after surgery. Sientra textured implants do take a few months to "feel" soft-they tend to feel a little former initially than a smooth implant and they then settle to a nice youthful firmness. You are still very early out from surgery. Time is of the essence with breast surgery. Hang in there.

M. Bradley Calobrace, MD, FACS

Textured Implants

Textured implants tend to take longer to settle in place and sometimes require some some coaxing with the use of a bandeau.  As far as liposuction results, it usually takes between 6 to 12 weeks to see the swelling begin to resolve and several months for the full result to take shape.  Patience is important in the recovery period.  Discuss your concerns with your physician and follow up regularly.  

Texturing of the implants deters implant descent

It is the surface texturing that inhibits breast implant dropping overtime. The difference in size given the same volume is due to swelling typically immediate postoperative.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Sientra

You are correct, a textured Sientra implant will not settle or drop as much as a smooth implant.  You will still have swelling at this point so your size can still be expected to decrease a small amount.  You can expect swelling in the areas you had liposuction also, wearing a good compression garment for 6-8 weeks after surgery is what I recommend for best results.  Everything should continue getting better with time.  Make sure to follow up with you surgeon as recommended. 

Kevin Rose, MD
Provo Plastic Surgeon