How Do You Get Rid of an Iternal Hordeolum?

I have a stye under my eyelid and I was wondering how to get rid of it without going to the doctors. It feels like any other kind of styes and its not much a bother except that every time I blink, it kinda hurts.

Doctor Answers 4

Treatment for internal hordeolum

Thank you for sharing your question. The only treatments available for hordeolum are hot compresses, oral/topical antibiotics, incision & drainage or injection of Kenelog. Try heat for a few days, then see an Oculoplastic Surgeon for treatment if it is not improving. 
Good luck,

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 140 reviews


These are a blocked gland in the eyelid.  Try using warm compresses several times a day.  It is not going to resolve in 24 hours.  So give it time.  If it grows at all, gets really red and tender, then see an oculoplastic surgeon.  Occasionally they can get infected and need antibiotics.  Often they just can form a hard nodule (chalazion) and we will sometimes inject these with some steroid if not resolving on their own.

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 27 reviews

Treatment of Hordeolum/ stye

If you are sure of your diagnosis - then the medical treatment may include hot compresses, antibiotic or antibiotic/steroid ophthalmic ointment, and gentle lid cleaning. If this does not produce results, then incision and drainage by an ophthalmologist is an option. You may find "stye" ointment over-the-counter, but this has only petroleum and mineral oil (no antibiotic or steroid). Best wishes for clearing it up!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Stye Treatment

Thanks for your question.  Try conservative measures like taking motrin and applying  warm compresses to the area a few times a day.  If it does not resolve in 24 hours, please seek medical attention.  Good luck.

Paul E. Goco, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.