would it be bad to get it twice? one time around 19 years old and then another after ive given birth in my 30's?

I am 18 years old and i can not stand my vagina. I have been insecure about it since i was about 9. The lips are just too big. I want to get it asap, but also a vaginal rejuvenation maybe after childbirth.

Cosmetic vaginal and vulvar surgery

Hi and Thank you for your question!  This is a very common question we receive in my practice. The not-to-often talked about concern that many women your age experience is exactly this: they are self conscious about their vulvar appearance and are uncomfortable or insecure in the dating scene because of this.  You would be best served by seeing a specialist in labiaplasty and vaginal rejuvenation for a full evaluation and examination to see what your options may be based upon your desires. We perform many labiaplasties on women in this age range for exactly your concerns.
I hope this helps!

Scott M GulinsonMD
Obgyn and Cosmetic VulvoVaginal surgeon
Glendale, AZ

Vaginal rejuvenation

This is a great question that I hear from many of my patients in their late teens/early 20s who are interested in vaginal rejuvenation surgery. Women in their late teens/early 20s often want labiaplasty surgery because they do not like the way their labia look, making them self-conscious in the dating world. A labiaplasty can be a very meaningful and life changing procedure for young women like you who are insecure with their appearance. The good news is that it is definitely possible to have a labiaplasty now, and a more comprehensive vaginal rejuvenation procedure in the future when you are done having children. When you consult in person with a board certified plastic surgeon, make sure you discuss that you plan to have another procedure once you are done having children, if it is needed. This way you and your surgeon can plan accordingly. Your next step should be to consult in person with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Can I get one surgery now and one after I have children?

Thank you for your question.  Based upon your description it sounds like its your labia minora that are troubling you.  A labiaplasty can be performed to improve your appearance.  Make sure you see a plastic surgeon or gynecologist or specialist in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery(FPMRS) who does this operation frequently.  I would start with your gynecologist to give you an overview of your anatomy.  Most gynecologists are not skilled with labiaplasties so see someone with a special interest and skills for your surgery.

As far as future vaginal rejuvenation its difficult to know if you even need one.  This is to fix laxity with sexual activity.  If you do not have this you may not experience it in the future. If you have laxity now and you have your vagina tightened at your age I would recommend you consider a c section instead of vaginal birth.

Also if vaginal tightening something you are seeking now I would not recommend a plastic surgeon but rather the FPMRS doctor who does cosmetic work as well.  Many plastic surgeons do a good job with labiaplasties but FPMRS doctors are specialists in vaginal reconstruction.

Two different procedures for two different issues

Thank you for your post. It sounds as though you would like to have a labiaplasty  procedure performed now and once you are done having children to undergo a vaginally tightening procedure. This is absolutely acceptable.
best of luck

Would it be bad to get it twice? one time around 19 years old and then another after ive given birth in my 30's?

It would all depend on the technique that is used. If you have a trim-type labiaplasty now then it is easy to revise if necessary after childbirth. The only way to know for sure is to book a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon near you. Best of luck! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Is it okay to have a labiaplasty at 19 and vaginal rejuvenation after giving birth?

Dear 5jbeaches,

Thank you for writing in with your questions and concerns.  The short answer is yes.

The labia start to develop when girls go through puberty due to the hormone estrogen.  They can become longer, darker, thicker and uneven for some.  Teenagers start to notice that they are uncomfortable doing routine activities and exercise, clothes can pinch and pull, hygiene can become a problem with menses and BMs due to the extra skin folds, tampon placement can be more difficult and they can pulled during sexual intercourse.  Teens also notice that they are different from their peers (usually when changing in the locker rooms) and that can cause feelings of embarrassment, not feeling normal, or not liking how their body looks.  Many girls begin not liking the look of their labia but the development is normal. 

There are two types of labiaplasty procedures--the one that trims the edges (the traditional edge-reducing or linear technique) and those that maintain the natural darker, thicker edges called edge-preserving techniques that include the  wedge procedures (inferior, posterior, central).  It depends on the look you want to have.  Also, there is a slightly higher complication rate with the wedge procedures because the edges can separate.  You can read more about labiaplasty at the link below.

Vaginal rejuvenation surgeries are performed mainly on women who have had children because childbirth can affect bladder, bowel and sexual function.  It could be due to the first child or the fifth child, depending on one's body, the size of the baby and its position, method of delivery (forceps or vacuum), how elastic one's tissues are and how one heals.  You may eventually want vaginal rejuvenation, but at this point in time, put that on the back burner for now.

In seeking out a surgeon for labiaplasty, please be sure to see lots of before and after pictures and discuss with them how they address post-op complications when they occur.  Look for a highly experienced cosmetic gynecologist, uro-gynecologist or plastic surgeon who can offer more than one type of procedure, and get at least two opinions before committing to surgery.

I hope this information is helpful.

Sincerely,

Troy Robbin Hailparn, MD, FACOG
Cosmetic Gynecology Center of San Antonio

Troy Hailparn, MD
San Antonio OB/GYN

Chronic self image issues are not improved by surgery

It is not normal for a 9-year-old to develop body image insecurities that persist into adulthood. I would recommend that you seek out the services of a mental health professional before considering surgery. Otherwise, you may find that surgery doesn't solve the way you feel about your body.

Labiaplasty now; ?? Vaginal Rejuvenation after childbirths...

Your best bet would be to consult with an EXPERIENCED (make sure your surgeon SPECIALIZES in labiaplasty) genital plastic/cosmetic surgeon for your labiaplasty- make sure you see at least 25+ before & after photos on his/her site. Having a LP now will not effect your ability to bear children. After you're done with childbearing you may- or may not- wish a vaginal rejuvenation. Again: "Experience counts!" The weblink below gives you information from other patients, in their own words.

Michael P Goodman MD
Davis, CA, USA

Labiaplasty and Vaginal Rejuvenation

If the size and appearance of your labia are bothersome, a consult for labiaplasty surgery will let you know the best options to treat the area now. Vaginal looseness can occur after deliveries and if that happens you may be a candidate for vaginal rejuvenation down the line. Vaginal rejuvenation is not always indicated after delivery. Your best bet would be to address the issue that is currently bothering you and reassess down the line if anything additional is needed.

Would it be bad to get it twice?

Thank you for sharing your question.  What you are describing is seeking treatment for two separate issues of your vagina.  Most women who feel that their labia minora lips are too big can benefit from a well-executed labiaplasty to achieve a smaller, more symmetrical pairing.  After healing from surgery the labia are unlikely to change again.  If after childbirth you are interested in tightening of your vagina then this can be performed in your 30s once your family is complete.  Hope this helps.