Should I be concerned about my mole? It has changed shape and colour. (photo)

Can you tell me if should be worried about my mole , I'm quite concerned but I went to the doctors today (wasn't the regular doctor) and she said it was fine but I'm not convinced , thanks

Should I be concerned about my mole?

One good set of guidelines to follow is the ABCDE's. 1. Asymmetry: One side of the mole does not match the other. 2. Border: The edges of the mole are jagged or irregular. 3. Color: The mole has changed in color, or has different colors within it. 4. Diameter: The diameter of the mole is larger than the diameter of a pencil eraser; 5. Evolving: The mole looks different from others on your body and/or is changing size, color or shape. If you have any of the following you should make an appointment with a Dermatologist, or a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Make sure your physician has experience with removals of cancerous lesions. Since you mentioned your mole has changed in size and color, I would make an appointment to have it evaluated.  Your physician will possibly take a biopsy, a small piece of the lesion, and send it to Pathology to evaluate for skin cancer.

Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

Changing lesions

Thank you for your question. In my opinion, any changing or symptomatic lesion needs to be evaluated by a board certified dermatologist, where an instrument called dermatoscope is used to look at the lesion under higher magnification to determine if any irregularities are present. If your lesion has any abnormalities, then a biopsy should be performed, and the tissue sent to a lab for evaluation. I highly recommend you consult with a board certified dermatologist to have your lesion evaluated. Take care and good luck.

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD