Scheduled for a Mommy Makeover/Breast Reduction. Should I add a Tummy Tuck or Liposuction? (photos)

In researching the reduction I started to get excited about a Mommy Makeover. Stats (41 yrs old, 5'10", 153 pounds, 34H cup, 2 breastfed kids and family complete yrs ago). What procedures am I a good candidate for? I have no restrictions, don't smoke. Tummy tuck, lipo, or good old fashioned diet and exercise? Am I taking unnecessary risks pushing my 3 hour surgery into a 5-6 hour one? How dramatic a change might be expected?

Tummy tuck or liposuction with breast reduction?

It appears from your photographs that you  have loose skin of your abdominal wall.  It seems that your best operation for recontouring of your abdomen would be a tummy tuck.  Your pictures would also indicate that you would benefit from liposuction in the hip area.  As long you are in good health, and this combination of procedures can be done in a reasonable amount of time by a well-trained board certified plastic surgeon in a certified facility he should be okay

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Scheduled for a Mommy Makeover/Breast Reduction. Should I add a Tummy Tuck or Liposuction?

Tummy tuck, liposuction and breast reduction can be done in 5 hours or less, and this would produce the best result for you.

Mommy makeover with breast reduction, tummy tuck and liposuction

Thank you for your question.  I concur with other surgeons that the addition of a tummy tuck and liposuction of the flanks with your breast reduction should give you a very nice result.  Please consult a board certified plastic surgeon.

Mommy make over

Dear excited lady,
    Thanks for submitting your pictutres. From the pictures you will benefit from all three procedures : Tummy tuck, breast reduction and liposuction. However, I would recommend to start with the tummy tuck which is a core procedure. Many of my patients lose significant amount of weight after surgery due to the muscle tightening that reduces and delays the feeling of hunger  and the amount of food that you can consume . Consequently, you might not need to have liposuction since your body shape will improve dramatically.  As far as your breasts, since the breasts size will be reduce from the weight loss, you might need only breast lift which is shorter in duration, less costly and has less complications. Always, consult with board certified plastic surgeons and check ther before and after to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and you like them. Also , check the reviews.
                           Dr Widder

Tummy tuck options with mommy makeover

A tummy tuck is usually part of the mommy makeover because pregnancy affects the abdominal area as much as breasts. Most of the time it makes sense to do them together, but liposuction is not often a reasonable alternative in  this situation. We usually consider 5-6 hours of surgery time as the upper limit of what is safe as an outpatient so that should allow enough time.

Richard Baxter, MD

TT

Thank you for the photos and Dr pousti has given you a very comprehensive answer to your question which I thoroughly agree with

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Candidate for Mommy Makeover

Thank you for your pictures. I think that your ex look at it for mommy makeover. You could benefit from breast reduction, tummy tuck  and liposuction of your flanks at the same operation. I think this result should be outstanding barring any complications. Please consult with board-certified plastic surgeons.

Mommy makeover options

Thanks for your pictures and questions.  You appear to be a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction of the love handle region.  It appears from the pictures that you may have some muscle separation (best checked on physical examination).  Diet and exercise will not improve that separation.  As long as you are healthy, extending your breast reduction surgery by adding liposuction and a tummy tuck should be safe.  Make sure you are evaluated by a board-certified plastic surgeon to determine the safety of performing these procedures together.  Finally, I think you can expect a significant change to your body but you have to have a clear understanding of the recovery process and the length of time it will take to get there.  If you go in to the process with a realistic expectation of the process, you will do much better.  Good luck!

Naveen Setty, MD

Thank you for the question and pictures. I think you will do well with a full tummy tuck operation (quite a dramatic outcome can be expected, but achieving realistic expectations will be an important part of the preoperative communication as well). Most patients who undergo this procedure after pregnancies and/or weight gain/loss, benefit from re approximation of the abdominal wall muscles as well as from excision of the excess skin/adipose tissue. Liposuction surgery is often utilized as well.
Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is medically/psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, does not smoke, is capable of arranging enough recovery time and who has reached a long-term stable weight.
Since you considering undergoing a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery ( often underestimated by surgeons and patients alike), a few words of advice may be helpful:
1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.
4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.
6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.
10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Which procedures for Mommy Makeover?

Hello and thanks for your post. In my hands, I would lean more towards a tummy tuck with muscle repair and liposuction to reduce the waistline and overall volume. I cannot recommend that without seeing you, but if you have an experienced PS in your area I would recommend you seek their advice. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD