Additional fat cells due to coolscupting procedure if patient gains weight?

I am asking if the coolscupting procedure causes existing fat cells to multiply or increase because of the procedure if patient gains significant amount of weight after procedure. Also, What is the success rate and patient satisfaction percentage?

CoolSculpting

Thank you for question. CoolSculpting is a great treatment for the appropriate candidates. The patient can expect 20%-25% of fat reduction after each treatment. CoolSculpting does not cause fat cells to multiply. If the patient gains weight then it their existing fat cells that increase in size. I recommend seeing an expert to determine if you are candidate.

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting causes apoptosis ( cell death) of 20-25% of the subcutaneous fat this is the fat directly under the skin. It does not affect the the visceral fat which is behind the abdominal muscles around your organs. In rare cases ( 1 in 25,000) you can get paradoxical hyperplasia which is an increase in the fat mass. This would unlikely cause any weight changes, just a small visual increase in size of an isolate treatment area. If someone gains a significant amount of weight after the procedure, it is likely due to poor diet, sedentary lifestyle or metabolism changes. The treatment has a high success rate if the patient has localized subcutanous fat, has a BMI below 27, and has reasonable expectations meaning they should not expect a surgical ( liposuction) results. Realself has coolsculpthing "worth it" rating above 80%

Drew Varano, MD
Washington DC Internist

Weight Gain After CoolSculpting

CoolSculpting is an amazing treatment for the appropriate candidates with an average of 20-25% fat reduction after a single treatment. The treatment does not cause fat cells to multiply. If you gain weight then it is your existing fat cells that increase in size. This would happen whether you got the treatment or not. We have a very high satisfaction rate in our practice, probably around 99%. This is because we are very selective with who we treat. Please see an experienced provider to determine whether you are a suitable candidate for the treatment.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Coolsculpting

This procedure will kill fat cells permanently.Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what. This procedure

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Coolsculpting and more fat

Coolsculpting destroys a percentage of the fat in the area of treatment. That area will always have fewer fat cells for the rest of a patient's life. If the patient gains weight, those fat cells can get larger, but they will always have less fat there than if they never had the Coolsclupting treatment. At Quintessa, we have treated hundreds of patients, all with great success, and we have an extremely high patient satisfaction rate.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting fat facts--add Venus Legacy, Exilis Ultra, Vanquish for best results

With weight gain you may gain more fat cells, but it won't cause existing cells to multiply. Most patients are satisfied with Coolsculpting. With Coolsculpting I also recommend a combination with radiofrequency treatments such as Thermage, Vanquish, Venus Legacy, Exilis Ultra with Z wave/Cellutone for best results. VASER Hi Def with ThermiRF, ultrasound and fat grafting are also options, if you're a candidate. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Does CoolSculpting affect other fat cells?

Hello Calico1,

Thank you for your question. Let us explore some of the basics of fat cells. We all have in our bodies the total amount of fat cells we will have for our lives by the age of about 20-21. Fat cells have the capacity to grow almost to any size (weight gain) or shrink to be quite small (weight loss). Thus when a procedure to remove fat cells (liposuction) or destroy them (CoolSculpting/UltraShape etc) is done we are reducing the number of fat cells in the area of treatment; with CoolSculpting expect about 25%. There is no effect to the remaining fat cells behavior thus if you gain a lot of weight then the fat cells that remain will grow accordingly. I am frequently asked if the fat will move after these treatments; another common misconception. The fat doesn't move it is merely the remaining fat cells in the body that are growing due to weight gain. Our experience has seen satisfaction rates around 95%. Just know CoolSculpting is very safe and very effective. I hope this helps.  

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Coolsculpting causes fat cell death

Although Coolsculpting causes fat cell death, the remaining cells are capable of enlarging their size if there is weight gain. Satisfaction rates are in the mid 80% as you can see on Realself. There is an extremely rare phenomenon called paradoxical hyperplasia after Coolscupting and occurs about 1/10000 and that is where the fat pocket gets larger.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Coolsculpting works well

Hi Calico1. In my practice, Coolsculpting has been met with great enthusiasm and patients are very satisfied. If one were to gain about 30 lbs or so, you may form new fat cells. Weight gain of less than that usually means that existing fat cells are enlarging. To my knowledge, coolsculpting itself does not alter the normal fat physiology and make one more prone to fat cell multiplication. Be sure to see a CS provider that is certified, with advanced training through Coolsculpting university- Good luck!

Additional fat cell?

Fat cells get destroyed after cool sculpting.  But only about 20 -25 % of the fat in the treated area gets killed.  This means that if you gain fat it will be in other areas but also areas where fat was already treated.  This is meant as an adjunct to healthy lifestyle with stubborn areas of fat.  In my practice, i have great success with this procedure.  About 90 percent of patients find this satisfying. Hope this helps.

Bhupesh Vasisht, MD
Voorhees Plastic Surgeon