Is it normal for nostrils to become extremely large (due to swelling) after Septorhinoplasty?

I am one day post op. Every time I change my dressing I am appalled at the size of my nostrils. They are enormous and at least 2.5 times their original size. I am having a great deal of anxiety about it on top of my pain. My procedure was not cosmetic(although he straightened my nose a great deal), it was done by my ENT who is not a plastic surgeon.

Nostril size

You just had surgery, and you are expected to have a lot of swelling. This swelling will persist for up to a  year but certainly will maximally swollen during the first several weeks to months.  Be patient.

Septorhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.It is important to consult with your surgeon about any questions or concerns you may have so they can give you a physical examination. You are extremely early in your recovery period and your nose will begin healing and changing, this will continue over the course of a year to year and a half. Swelling can cause the appearance of unevenness or enlargement. It takes 6 months for 90% of the swelling to resolve after a rhinoplasty. During this waiting period, several treatment options can reduce the swelling. First, post-operative taping is imperative to decrease swelling and mold the shape of the nose. This can be performed for a minimum of 2 weeks with recommendations commonly for 3 months. Second, a short course of oral steroids (Medrol dose pack) can be beneficial in the early stages to decrease swelling and pain. Third, I commonly use a dilute solution of Kenalog with Marcaine to decrease swelling of the nasal tip. If after 12-18 months, you are still unhappy with your results, I would contact your surgeon or a board certified plastic surgeon for a revision.
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Early post op, some advices :

Thank you very much for enquire.Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Swelling post rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  It is not uncommon to have swelling and possibly some asymmetries early in the post-rhinoplasty recovery phase.  It is usually six months before you will see the end result.  Even though it is difficult, it is important to be patient during the early healing phase.   

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon