My surgery is in about a month and I'm not sure how big I want to go? I'm a 34B and want to up 2 cup sizes to a 34D

I'm 4'10 and weigh about 120 lbs. I'm a 34B and want to go to at most a 34D. I'm worried that I might look disproportionate, although my hips are a little wider.

The perfect size breast implant

Many women agonize over this question because they believe that somewhere out there is an implant that would make their breasts look perfect. These women are afraid that they may miss their one chance for perfection if they do not preselect the correct size, style, shape, and type of  implant. For the average woman, trying to factor in all the variables to make this decision can drive them temporarily insane. The fact of the matter is that most women will look good in a variety of sizes. Within a reasonable range, a different size implant may look different but not necessarily better. Whether it looks better is very subjective and opinions will vary depending on preferences and point of reference. When making such a subjective decision there should be a good line of communication with your surgeon. There are many aids to help in the decision including photographs, sizers, imaging, rice tests, etc. Your surgeon can work with you to obtain adequate information to select an implant that will achieve the look you desire. Given enough information, an experienced surgeon will be your best resource  as to whether your goals are realistic and how to achieve them. Another point to remember is what you may think is perfect today may be very different in 20 years, or 10 years, or even next year. Good luck and best wishes on your surgery. 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Without photos it is difficult to advise, especially if we don't know if you go above or below the muscle. I could advise at least a 300 - 325cc implant.

Fred Suess, MD

What size implants???

Augmentation can only provide you a 'look' and you should not expect a perfect cup size.  You can get an idea with use of external sizers or rice sizers in unlined bras.  Whatever sizer you like, add 10% to the volume and you will get the look you saw, with those sizers as you viewed yourself in a mirror.  Also, wear a light colored top so you can appreciate the size and contrast better... you cannot do this with black tops.

Curtis Wong, MD

Thank you for your question.  You should meet again with your plastic surgeon and try on breast implant sizers in a non-padded bra to see how you look with different sized breast implants.  He may also try the Rice test which is described in the link below on breast implant sizing:

Breast Implants and Bra Cups

The sooner you stop thinking in bra cup sizes, the better. There is no correlation between implant volume and cup size, so there is no way a responsible surgeon can guarantee you a cup size.  There is a better way to determine and communicate your aesthetic goals, by use of a tight unpadded bra and sizers/implants in front of the mirror in your surgeons office. More important than your aesthetic goals is assuring that your have anatomic capacity for whatever implant you choose. This is called tissue based implant selection, and it is determined by measurements performed during our physical exam. Go visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Many if not most women face the same dilemma before going ahead with their breast augmentation surgery.  My advice is to show your plastic surgeon photographs of other patients whose proportioning and size you like and then allow him/her to make the final decision for you when the actual results of placement of test implants or sizers can be seen.  Going from a B to a D is somewhat aggressive but may be reasonable for you depending upon your body type and size.  Many patients are told by their friends to go larger than they think they wish but some occasionally regret the decision while others support it.  Good luck to you and best wishes for happy results.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

My surgery is in about a month and I'm not sure how big I want to go?

I think you need to forget about cup size and instead concentrate on the look you like. Breast augmentation is designed to create a look and proportion the patient finds attractive. We cannot make a cup size as that is an artificial size that not even the manufacturers of bras can agree on. Do an online search for photos of women that have undergone breast augmentation and find and print several of those to take to your consultation. Your surgeon will use that information coupled with the measured dimensions of your chest to get that goal for you. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

I'm not sure how big I want to go? I'm a 34B and want to up 2 cup sizes to a 34D

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 32 D and a 38 D are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer. 

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.  Robert Singer, MD FACS La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Picking breast size

This is one of the most stressful decisions for women to make when going on the journey for breast augmentation. You don't want to be too big but you don't want to be too small! My advice is this

1. Scour the internet - after seeing a LOT of breasts, you start to hone in on what you like and start noticing a pattern. You figure yourself out.

2. Be honest with yourself - sometimes you feel like you might be judged for being too big or wanting small implants. You need to be who you are and you can only really figure that out if you are honest with yourself and you allow yourself to like what YOU like!

3. Sizing in the office: We use 3D imaging to show you what you might look like with different size implants. This helps you decide what size you really want to be. It is difficult to make you a specific bra size, so if we can make you a breast size you like, then whatever bra you wear doesn't really matter - you look like you want to look! We also have sizers that you can try on and see yourself in the mirror. With these 2 modalities, patients can really figure out what their implants size will look like once the breast augmentation is completed.

Best wishes!

350cc

Just based on the very limited information provided, I would think that you would need about 350cc for silicone gel breast implants to achieve 2 cup size increase after breast augmentation.

Obviously this is just base on my experience and you may need more or less based on your anatomy and goals.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS