Are most plastic surgeons using the Keller funnel for breast augmentation surgery?

The Keller funnel and breast augmentation

There is some feeling in the plastic surgery community that the use of the Keller funnel may reduce the incidence of capsular contracture. If bacterial contamination is reduced, this may reduce the development of a biofilm and biofilms been implicated as a cause of capsules. Although this has not been definitively proven, I personal prefer to use the Keller fuller as I find it an elegant way to insert the implant. 

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Keller Funnel

In my experience, the Keller Funnel can make implant insertion faster, easier, less traumatic to tissues and allow less contact with the implant- all of which contributes to more optimal recovery for the patient and could reduce the risk of infection. The implant is passed from the sterile container it comes in, directly into the Keller Funnel™, and then slides through it into the space created inside the breast. In this way, the implant never touches the surgeon’s gloved hands, nor the skin of the patient’s breast. This is known as the “No Touch Technique”. Talk with your Plastic Surgeon about this option.

All the best  

Although, I can't say with certainty what percentage of my colleagues use the Keller funnel, I routinely use it for transaxillary breast augmentation.  I believe it helps decrease the risk of bacterial contamination and definitely helps decrease tissue trauma, especially when larger implants are used.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Keller funnels

make inserting an implant EASY, quick, and without risking contamination from the adjacent skin as may occur when the implant is inserted in the traditional way (no funnel).  You can also keep the incision shorter with the funnel.  If you're trying to do everything possible to minimize the risks for a contracture, it should be used.  I use it myself and my patients are charged for the cost (just over $100) as they can chose not to have it used if they don't believe in its benefits.

Curtis Wong, MD

Should your ps use Keller funnel for breast augmentation

Most don't. But they should. We use them for every augmentation. I'm sure dr. Keller is thrilled... Oh well he deserves it!

Lisa Cassileth, MD, FACS

Keller funnel and breast implant surgery #plasticsurgery

I've started to use a Keller funnel for all implant related breast surgery. Its a true 'no touch' way to place a breast implant.

Are most ps using Keller funnel

Thanks for your question. Is difficult to answer your question. The use of a keller funnel is solely a personal choice of the surgeon. In my opinion the decision to use or not use it is not very important in your final outcome.  Picking the "correct" implant for your breasts and dissecting symmetrical pockets are much more important to your final outcome. I hope that helped. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Keller Funnel

Although there seem to be more surgeons in my area (90210) listed on the Keller Funnel site than have admitted to using these devices in closed meetings, I can tell you that the high cost and minimal discount given to bulk orders make it an unpopular device.  I personally spoke to the VP of sales, who told me they sold 100,000 units in 2015, for approximately 300,000 reported breast augmentations in the US. You'll know if your surgeon really uses one if you see literature in their office and a Keller Funnel Seal on their website. I think it is an invaluable part of breast augmentation surgery. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

The funnel is commonly used, especially when placing the silicone implants, but it is not used by everyone.  It aids in placement of the implant and helps in minimizing infection risk.  Each surgeon will have his/her own preferences on whether to use it or not.

Camille Cash, MD

Using the Keller Funnel

Great question. I can not speak for most plastic surgeons, but I can say I use it for my breast augmentation procedures and have seen great success with it. Patients have great results.