Can you undergo plastic surgery to reshape the cartilage of your nose without adding things or breaking any bones?

The only dissatisfaction I have with my nose is that it is a little bit big and bulbous At the bottom. It's not huge though. But I heard if u get a rhinoplasty u need to be extra careful and u can't really push up ur nose or move it around. I don't want to break any bones that's for sure. But I was wondering if u can just reshape the cartilage without adding anything that isn't originally in ur nose. If u know Wat I'm trying to say. Sorry it's a bit wordy.

It is possible to reshape the nose without breaking any bones or “adding” anything.

It is possible to reshape the nose without breaking any bones or “adding” anything. This can be commonly completed during a tip plasty to improve the shape of the tip. You would need to be seen in person by a board-certified facial plastic surgeon to make sure that a tip rhinoplasty only is appropriate and would give you the results that you want. I hope this helps.

Tip Rhinoplasty

A tip rhinoplasty is a more limited rhinoplasty procedure that focuses on reshaping the cartilages at the bottom of the nose and does not involve breaking the nasal bones or adding any artificial or graft materials.

Can you undergo plastic surgery to reshape the cartilage of your nose?

Dear Reader,
Thank you for your question!  Absolutely, you can reshape the bulbous tip of your nose without breaking any bones or adding implants ( I believe that is what you are referring to).  This is also called a Tip-plasty. 

This is where the tip of the nose (cartilage) is refined and reshaped.  An evaluation by a Board Certified Facial Plastic and Reconstructive or Cosmetic Surgeon would best be able to tell you the appropriate course of action for the results you are looking to achieve.

Best of Luck!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for cartilage reshaping of the tip

When patients have a broken nose or a dorsal hump, breaking of the nasal bones is necessary.  When there is a bulbous nasal tip, suture techniques and a conservative cartilage removal are applied to the lower lateral cartilages of the tip. For more information and many examples, please see link and the video below

Tip rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question.  You are describing a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. Osteotomies do not need to be performed. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with.  I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tip Rhinoplasty

Yes,  you can definitely have significant changes to your tip without "adding" stuff or breaking bones.  Usually, for a bulbous tip, only stitches in a particular way are necessary.  The most important part is going to an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon so that you can discuss all of the option you have.

(don't be afraid of the bones and adding stuff - you will be very comfortable after surgery.  Also, you may not need it anyway!)

Good luck!!

Tip rhinoplasty

Tip only rhinoplasties are common and do not involve any osteotomies or breaking of bones.  This can reshape the tip to make it finer and less bulbous without affecting the rest of your nasal aesthetics.