Rhinoplasty before Jaw Surgery?

I'd like to know, how much or in what way could a lefort 1 impaction to treat vertical maxillary excess affect a nose job prior to having this jaw surgery? I really want to get my nose done as soon as possible and it could be a year or so before I'm financially ready to pay for the jaw surgery.

Jaw surgery before a rhinoplasty

Upper jaw surgery  will alter the shape of the nose, so it's important to perform that procedure first, and then consider  a rhinoplasty procedure.

The changes in the nose after the jaw surgery

Maxillary impaction alters the nose drastically and whoever does your rhinoplasty needs to take all of that in consideration. For that reason it is important for you to work with a plastic surgeon who is trained in craniofacial surgery and knows about rhinoplasty and maxillary osteotomy. Impaction would widen the nostrils, shorten the upper lip and narrow the angle between the lip and the nose.Good Luck

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Which surgery first ?

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. In my practice for cases like yours i suggest to my patients to perform first the jaw surgery and then plan the rhinoplasty for a better result.Kind regards,Dr. Emmanuel Mallol

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Jaw surgery and rhinoplasty

It is probably best to have the jaw surgery first to set you facial profile and see how the relationship between the different portions of the face change.

Surgery TIming Jaw/Nose

Because the jaw surgery will affect all the facial relationships, including your nose, you should plan your jaw surgery first. This will set the new "foundation" upon which your new nose will be "built".

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Jaw surgery first

I would recommend having the jaw surgery first. The Lefort I can cause changes to the internal structure(nasal septum) as well as cause some external changes.

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and Jaw Surgery

You absolutely want to have the jaw surgery first and then the rhinoplasty. A LeFort 1 osteotomy can make changes to the nose and affect internal structures like the septum. If you have the rhinoplasty first it will likely adversely effect the result with jaw surgery later.