If I plan on getting treated with Cellfina, should I do so before or after getting my butt implants?

I plan on getting butt implants but I have quite a bit of cellulites. I know Cellfina uses a needle above the fascia. I'm just wondering if doing the procedure after getting implants would be dangerous.

Cellfina

The treatment should happen before you have augmentation with implants.  It is safer to do it before or wait for 3-6 months afterwards.

When Where What

Happy Holidays!!

Cellfina is an FDA approved minimally invasive procedure that reduces the appearance of cellulite for at least two years on the buttocks and back of the thighs of women.

It works by releasing the internal bands that cause the cellulite dimpling and so we have not seen any fat atrophy. You should not see much of a difference with weight gain or loss but this also has not been studied.

Other areas of the body with dimpling, it is important to make sure it is truly cellulite before treatment.

It is common to have swelling bruising and firmness after the procedure. This can last for a few weeks.

It is different than Cellulaze which is a laser. 

If you have had previous poor results with cellulaze, you can still do Cellfina.

Cellfina has shown 100% noticeable improvement and 96% satisfaction in all patients at 2 years. 

Cellfina is designed to be a one time procedure. 

It can be used on women with all skin types but caution should be taken if theres a history of keloiding.

It can also be combined with other treatments such as Thermi or

Ulthera if skin tightening is needed.

We have done Sculpsure and Coolsculpting if fat reduction is wanted, but its best to wait 3 months to see the results before proceeding.

It can also be done at the same time as other procedures such as liposuction and BBL or as a stand alone procedure in the office.

Since Cellfina outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Cellfina or other treatments are available to meet your goals. 

Take care,

Dr Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Perform Cellfina first

The placement of buttock implants is a significant operation with risks primarily related to infection. Therefore, you should have any other invasive procedures (i.e. Cellfina) done first so that you don't take the risk of introducing bacteria into the area around the implants. In my experience Cellfina has a superb satisfaction response with very little risk, while buttock augmentation is a bit of a "scary" operation. Therefore, I would say, have the cellulite treated first and wait a while before you really commit yourself to the placement of the implants. Who knows...you might just be happy enough with a smooth butt!!!

Diana L. Elias, MD
Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Cellfina & Buttock Augmentation

The Cellfina System involves using a microscalpel underneath the skin at specified depths to release tethering bands that pull the skin and cause cellulite dimpling. This process is done above the muscle, and there should be no damage to buttock implants. However, if choosing one procedure before another, it may be best to do Cellfina before having buttock augmentation surgery due to the minimal downtime after treatment with Cellfina. Choosing to do Cellfina after surgery would require waiting until after your recovery period. Some surgeons perform both procedures at the same time to minimize the total recovery time for patients. Consult a board-certified plastic surgeon on the best treatment plan for you. Good luck in your upcoming procedures!

Tom S. Liu, MD, MBA
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Cellfina and butt implants

Cellfina works by releasing the fibrous bands which cause the cellulite dimples 6-10 mm underneath the skin. At this relatively superficial level, Cellfina will not interfere with your buttock implants. I don't think it matters which procedure is done first.

Paul M. Parker, MD, FACS
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Cellfina divides the fibrous bands that are causing the dimples. This procedure is done under local anesthesia and tolerated very well. It is a superficial procedure, so I don't think it really matters whether or not the buttock implants are done before or after the Cellfina procedure. Good luck!

Keith Hodge, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Cellfina is first line in treating cellulite.

Cellfina works by snipping the specific fibrous cords that cause a dimple on the skin of buttock and thighs.  Releasing the dimples will smooth the surface.  I would do the Cellfina prior to any implants in the area.  There could be a concern about damaging an implant with the Cellfina procedure so best to do it first.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Cellfina for Cellulite

I use cellfina the same day that we do buttock augmentation. I suggest you see an expert.  Likely would be better before the implant if you had to chose that over doing it after.  during the procedure it shouldn't hurt.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Cellfina or Butt Implants First?

I would recommend having the Cellfina procedure done first. 
#buttimplants   #dimples  #cellulite  #cellfina

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Cellfina and buttock implants...

Thank you for your question.   Ultimately I do not think the order is important that you have the procedures done, however it is likely to have the Cellfina performed first.  Another option would be to have Cellfina and Sculptra injections for your buttocks, which will give you volume and smooth as well instead of the implant.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon