If I plan on getting treated with Cellfina, should I do so before or after getting my butt implants?

I plan on getting butt implants but I have quite a bit of cellulites. I know Cellfina uses a needle above the fascia. I'm just wondering if doing the procedure after getting implants would be dangerous.

Perform Cellfina first

The placement of buttock implants is a significant operation with risks primarily related to infection. Therefore, you should have any other invasive procedures (i.e. Cellfina) done first so that you don't take the risk of introducing bacteria into the area around the implants. In my experience Cellfina has a superb satisfaction response with very little risk, while buttock augmentation is a bit of a "scary" operation. Therefore, I would say, have the cellulite treated first and wait a while before you really commit yourself to the placement of the implants. Who knows...you might just be happy enough with a smooth butt!!!

Saint Petersburg Plastic Surgeon

Cellfina & Buttock Augmentation

The Cellfina System involves using a microscalpel underneath the skin at specified depths to release tethering bands that pull the skin and cause cellulite dimpling. This process is done above the muscle, and there should be no damage to buttock implants. However, if choosing one procedure before another, it may be best to do Cellfina before having buttock augmentation surgery due to the minimal downtime after treatment with Cellfina. Choosing to do Cellfina after surgery would require waiting until after your recovery period. Some surgeons perform both procedures at the same time to minimize the total recovery time for patients. Consult a board-certified plastic surgeon on the best treatment plan for you. Good luck in your upcoming procedures!

Tom S. Liu, MD, MBA
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Cellfina and butt implants

Cellfina works by releasing the fibrous bands which cause the cellulite dimples 6-10 mm underneath the skin. At this relatively superficial level, Cellfina will not interfere with your buttock implants. I don't think it matters which procedure is done first.

Cellfina divides the fibrous bands that are causing the dimples. This procedure is done under local anesthesia and tolerated very well. It is a superficial procedure, so I don't think it really matters whether or not the buttock implants are done before or after the Cellfina procedure. Good luck!

Cellfina is first line in treating cellulite.

Cellfina works by snipping the specific fibrous cords that cause a dimple on the skin of buttock and thighs.  Releasing the dimples will smooth the surface.  I would do the Cellfina prior to any implants in the area.  There could be a concern about damaging an implant with the Cellfina procedure so best to do it first.

Susan Van Dyke, MD
Paradise Valley Dermatologic Surgeon

Cellfina for Cellulite

I use cellfina the same day that we do buttock augmentation. I suggest you see an expert.  Likely would be better before the implant if you had to chose that over doing it after.  during the procedure it shouldn't hurt.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Cellfina or Butt Implants First?

I would recommend having the Cellfina procedure done first. 
#buttimplants   #dimples  #cellulite  #cellfina

Cellfina and buttock implants...

Thank you for your question.   Ultimately I do not think the order is important that you have the procedures done, however it is likely to have the Cellfina performed first.  Another option would be to have Cellfina and Sculptra injections for your buttocks, which will give you volume and smooth as well instead of the implant.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon