Can insurance cover Rhinoplasty if it is medically needed?

I broke my nose in an accident a couple years back and the surgery I received to fix it left my with a very large and long nose. It wasn't this big before the accident. And I hate how it looks now. Does that make me eligible for surgery that changes the shape back to how it was?

Greetings

Thank you for your question. Insurance does not cover for Rhinoplasty. unless if you have breathing problem.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

medically related rhinoplasty,

To obtain medical necessity, there must be an airflow restriction to the nose documented at the time of examination and consultation. A broken nose can be straightened, but it's only  getting paid by an insurance company if it's blocking the airflow of the nose. Changing the shape of the nose is not considered medically necessary, and is considered cosmetic

Functional rhinoplasty

What insurance companies will and will not "cover" is a difficult question to answer, as different companies and different plans have a variety of indications and exclusions that may or may not apply in your case.  Generally, procedures to improve nasal function--improved a blocked nasal airway, for example--are considered eligible for insurance coverage, while cosmetic procedures meant to alter an unsatisfactory nasal shape are not considered eligible.  Furthermore, some patients have high-deductible plans, and for some of these individuals, it makes more sense to cover the cost of surgery out-of-pocket as opposed to going through insurance.  Your best step would be to consult with a rhinoplasty surgeon who accepts your insurance plan, and discuss your concerns and desires with him or her.  Best of luck.

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon