I believe I have had drug induced gynecomastia for 2 years. (Marijuana) what are my treatment options? (photos)

Is this sort of gynecomastia able to be treated if I stop smoking marijuana? What about the use of tamoxifen or other anti estrogen drugs? Is surgery the only option I have at this point since it has been 2 years?

Doctor Answers 7

Gynecomastia glandulectomy

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You need direct access glandulectomy (never ever liposuction) and also periareolar skin removal to flatten the prominent areola-nipple complexes.

Spain Plastic Surgeon

I believe I have had drug induced gynecomastia for 2 years. (Marijuana) what are my treatment options?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The medications will likely stop it from growing any further but will not reduce the size. I am afraid you will need surgery

Gynecomastia and Marijuana

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi tbone7,

Thank you for posting. The answer to your first question is that you will only know by stopping the marijuana.  If you have stopped the marijuana and there is no improvement in the size of the breasts, then you will require surgery. This is the only predictable method of treating gynecomastia with little to no chance of recurrence. There are some studies that suggest that some patients have response to taking tamoxifen. However, this does not address the issue that if you begin re-stimulating the tissue ( resume marijuana), that the gynecomastia may recur.


Dr. Dadvand

I believe I have had drug induced gynecomastia for 2 years. (Marijuana) what are my treatment options?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Stop the POT! Next SmartLipo and breast bud excision operation Fee $6,000. Good Luck.................

Drug induced gynecomastia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Drug induced gynecomastia,as any other gyne, after one year it usually becomes permanent.Once the gland is removed it should not reoccur (WILLNOT TO COME BACK)after any drug. Surgery can be done any time.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You should stop the marijuana and see if you get improvement. It may take a while. I wouldn't consider surgery if you are still using, but it may be the only option to get rid of the excess gland under the nipple. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon and be sure to stop the marijuana or you may be unlikely to find a surgeon willing to operate.

Jeffrey Gusenoff, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

About Gynecomastia and the Treatment Options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

According to official statistics, 36% of adult young men and 57% of older #adult men in the United States have this medical condition in one of the four grades.
About 200,000 to 3 million cases of #gynecomastia are being reported every single year. So if you have #breast #enlargement and you feel you're an exception, please understand that 1 in 3 young adult #men and 1 in 2 older adult men are just like you and have breast enlargement.

There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.