I am considering mini CoolSculpting on my double chin. I am 24 years old and this will cause sagging skin. Should I be worried?

I am a 24 year old male and am trying to decide between cool sculpting and kybella for the double chin.

Both great procedures!

Coolmini and kybella are both great procedures. You should not be worried  because either one of them will not cause sagging skin. Please consult with a board certified dermatologist to see what procedure with be best for you. Best, Dr.Green.

Thank you for your question. CoolSculpting should not cause sagging skin. However, I would recommend see a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns, learn more about the procedure, and determine if you are a good candidate. If you are thinking of combining treatments, It would be best to wait 3 months after your CoolSculpting treatment as it usually takes 9-12 weeks to see the full results. Regards,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

CoolMini does not usually cause sagging skin in the right candidates.

At 24 years old, your skin is likely elastic enough that a CoolMini procedure would not cause sagging skin. An in-person consultation is necessary to say for certain, but CoolMini does not usually cause sagging skin in the right candidates. It is a good choice for non-invasively reducing a double chin, with 20-30% reduction in fat after one treatment. Visit a board-certified dermatologist for an evaluation of your concerns and a custom treatment plan.

William Groff, DO
San Diego Dermatologist

Hi and thanks for your question. Both are options for treating the submental fat. However, coolsculpting is entirely non-invasive with little to no postoperative swelling nor bruising. Kybella usually results in significant swelling and bruising and involves multiple injections. At 24 years of age I would not be overly concerned about sagging skin. Good luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting for Treatment of Double Chin

A young patient that has good skin elasticity is an ideal patient to treat the double chin. The beauty of the CoolSculpting process is the gradual, natural elimination of unwanted fat cells slowly allowing your skin to adjust as the treated area decreases in volume. 

Louis P. Bucky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Treatment of Double Chin

There are various different non-surgical options for treatment of double chins. Which treatment would be appropriate depends on whether the issue is caused more by fat accumulation or loose skin. This is determined during an in-person consultation and evaluation. You should find a provider that has multiple different treatment options for the double chin area.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

#MiniCoolSculpting or #Kybella?

Dear bearsfan991:
Both MiniCoolSculpting and Kybella can be used to reduce submental and neck fullness. The cost and numbers of treatment with the two approaches are similar. If you are looking for reduction of fat under your chin or even on the sides of the neck along with some skin tightening, Kybella would be a better option for you. If the amount of fat is small, some patients achieve optimal results with one Kybella treatment. Kybella treatments can sculpt the fat in that the injections can be designed to reduce fat only exactly where you have it, which also means that some  patients whose neck anatomy cannot accommodate the CoolSculpting applicator can still be treated, and if you desire to have fewer treatments, larger doses can be used in the first treatment.  I know of no head-to-head studies, but love and employ in my practice both Kybella and CoolSculpting and have developed the impression that Kybella treats more fat in a single treatment. MiniCoolSculpting is a great option for those who are afraid of needles or don't need any skin tightening and gives reliable 20 to 28% reductions in fat in the area taken up by the applicator with each treatment.

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

You should have a complete evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon to determine whether the mini or kybella is the right treatment. 

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Double Chin Treatment / Laxity-- SmartLipo/VASER/ThermiRF, Botox, Venus Legacy, Kybella, CoolMini

I find that VASER hi def does much more for this area than any non invasive option.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

I am considering mini Coolsculpting on my double chin. I am 24 years old and this will cause sagging skin. Should I be worried

Great question.  There are other options for you to consider.  We have a new product called Kybella which is the first and only FDA approved nonsurgical treatment that contours and improves the appearance of submental fullness.  I would consult a board certified plastic surgeon to go over the risks and benefits of this product, and compare the long term results to the mini cool sculpting (trusculpting).  Good luck