I did my gynecomastia 3 months ago and I feel there's a small tissue under one side. I wanted to know if that is normal.

Healing 3 Months Following Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Lump in breast 3 months after surgery for gynecomastia

It is too early to tell if you have residual tissue but it is not uncommon to have some asymmetry because no two breasts male or female are the same.  This could be scar tissue and may resolve but I would discuss this with your surgeon.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Certainly there is always a possibility of tissue that remains that causes a contour issue. Best to be evaluated in person.

Feeling Tissue

Thank you for your question.  While most of the swelling is gone at three months postop, you do still have some residual swelling which can explain some differences in how things feels.  More bruising on one side can lead to more inflammation and swelling on one side compared to the other.  These issues usually resolve on their own with time.  You can also be feeling some residual breast tissue, while most of the breast tissue is removed at surgery, 100% is not removed, as it would cause a saucer contour deformity that is very unsightly.  As long as things look smooth and even, I would not be too concerned about how it feels.  Congratulations and best wishes on your recovery.

At 3 months it is normal

Give it at least one year.  If you still feel that there is some tissue at that time see your surgeon. A revision may or may not be needed at that time.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Tissue under breast after gyne

Although you are likely fairly well healed at 3 months, it can take up to one year for your body to completely healing following surgery. It is not uncommon to feel lumps, bumps, etc. under the breast after gyne surgery. This could just be scar tissue or residual breast tissue. It may be something that will improve with more time or not. If it's not causing an issue, it may be nothing to worry about. 

I would recommend a visit with your surgeon for a simple evaluation and explanation. 

Gynecomastia Surgery Healing

Hi remo4560,
Thanks for the post. At three months you are still healing. The small tissue you feel on one side is either scar tissue or residual breast tissue. Refer to the link below for more details.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD