I'm a teen and I've noticed I have man boobs and I have smoked pot in the past. What are the chances I have Gynecomastia?

Gynecomastia Concern at a Young Age

There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

What are the chances I have Gynecomastia?

Thank you for the question.  The chances that you have gynecomastia are probably pretty good considering your age and marijuana use.  I would advise you to first speak with your parents about your gynecomastia and that you would like to make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss male breast reduction surgery, if you feel that it is necessary.

Dr. JSB

Gynecomastia AK

If you do not have gynecomastia there is a  chance pat will trigger it,although it happened only occasionally.There is no good statistic that indicates how many will develop. 

Mordcai Blau, MD

If your chest is bothering you, I would first recommend that you make an appointment with your pediatrician so they can evaluate and examine you. Developing "man boobs" is very common in the teenage years. It can be genetic, it can also be related to weight gain in the teenage years, and it can be increased for sure by marijuana usage as well.  These are all good questions to first discuss with your pediatrician.  After consulting your pediatrician, I recommend asking them if and when would be a good time to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to further discuss your goals for treatment options for the male chest. I hope this helps!