Scars after Gynecomastia. (photo)

I had Gynecomastia about 9 months ago and I'm not totally satisfied with the results but more importantly my question is about the scars that I now have. I have two long and visible scars right under my areola or breasts. Are these scars normal and when I can expect them to go away?

Scars after Gynecomastia

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Scars after Gynecomastia.

Based on your photographs, it appears that skin excision was carried out with the gynecomastia surgery;  this type of procedure does result in scars outside of the nipple/areola complexes. The scars will never  disappear but they should fade over the longer term. In other words, it is most likely that you will find the scars are less visible one year from now than they are today.  I would suggest that you continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon to see if he/she has any specific recommendations for you. Best wishes.