Can you get rippling from a jaw and chin implant?

Sorry for the strange question but i was wondering if you can get ripples from a jaw and chin implant. I'm scared because I have been noticing on breast implants some women tend to get ripples on the breast and it looks very abnormal. I just wanted to make sure to see if there are any cases where that has happened with jaw or chin implant procedures. Thank you so very much for answering this odd question.

No rippling in chin or jaw implants.

The ripples that are sometimes seen with breast implants are from folds in the implant itself. Some people have thin tissues and the ripples show through because the implants are soft and can fold or ripple. The material for chin and jaw implants is a solid rubbery material and thus does NOT fold like breast implants sometimes do. Ripples thus do not occur with chin or jaw implants because of the different implant material used. 

*Opinions stated here are just opinions. They are not based on a clinical exam which is recommended. 

No rippling with the chin or jaw implants

breast implants are composed of silicone and Saline fluid and can have rippling issues with thin skin. Cheek, chin, and jaw implants are all solid silicone, are placed directly over the bone and do not give rippling when placed in the proper position. In our practice, we have been using Implantech brand of chin and cheek implants for over 25 years and Have never seen any rippling. For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

Chin implants are rigid and are not going to give you rippling. They still do have risks of infection and displacement but are generally safe and patients are often happy with the improvements.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Ripples in chin implants

Liquid or gel implants in the breast have rippling as a possible risk.

Silastic chin implants are firm implants, not subject to rippling

Dennis Barek, MD
Great Neck Plastic Surgeon

Hi, the facial implants (cheek implants, chin implants and jaw implants) are made of solid soft silastic that will not show ripples like breast implants that are a gel based implant in a soft shell.  I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  

I prefer using a dermal filler for jaw line enhancement as this has far fewer unwanted side effects that jaw implants.

Hope this helps.

Chin and Jaw Implants

There is no correlation between breast implants and facial implants. Breast implants are fluid filled devices that can have some potential rippling. Facial implants are solid and thus can not have any rippling concerns.

Chin Implant

Hi There, 

Rippling from chin augmentation is uncommon. Rippling is usually caused by excess skin or contour deformity. Chin implants add volume, so it is unlikely to cause rippling, unless previous irregularity was present. 

Javad Sajan, MD

Javad Sajan, MD
Seattle Physician