Shifting chin implant. Want to try it again.

9 years ago I had a chin implant , it shifted, doctor took another stab at it shifted again. Went to a different surgeon, he took it out and said all chin implants shift! Any new technology in chin implants? I would consider it.

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery. Using an incision on the inside of the mouth allows upward migration of the chin implant.

Hope this helps.

Willing to try chin implant again after original one removed due to shifting

I would not say that all chin implants shift.  In fact, I would say that it is uncommon for them to shift.  I do not believe there is anything all that new in chin implant technology over the last 9 years, but it is possible that your implant just needs to be secured in some fashion so it stays more stable.  This can be done with a suture for example.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon