can a facial indented scar be improved?

I would like to ask can a indented scar be improved upon, either with scar revision or laser treatment or a dermabarsion, it is a fresh scar, 3 weks old, how long do I this unsightly mark on my face before I can get anything done to it to improve it, sorry no photo, would like some info please.

Doctor Answers 3

Can a facial indented scar be improved?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Yes, indented scars can be improved. Scar revision is typically the best option for this type of scar but is delayed up to one year to allow you to fully heal. It is also possible that you will see significant improvement in the meantime without surgery. 

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
One would generally wait 1 year before doing a scar revision to allow the scar to mature.  You have mentioned already many of the modalities that might be done to improve the scar but without an examination or even knowing the cause it is impossible to say which would be best for you.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 65 reviews

Treatment Options for Facial Scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

We typically advise patients to wait up to a year before having a scar revision procedure.  Depending on the individual nature of the scar, a board certified plastic surgeon could recommend a specific treatment protocol for you. 

Scar revision surgery is one of the most common procedures used to improve the appearance of a scar.  We recommend that following scar revision surgery, patients use a topical, silicone based scar gel, and complete a series of Laser Genesis (1064 Nd: YAG laser, Cutera) treatments that are designed to help with collagen reorganization.

Best of luck!

Benjamin C. Stong, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 9 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.