Should I have a facelift, or am I too young? I'm 20 (Photo)

Im 20 yrs old and want my skin to be tighter. Should I have a facelift or am I too young for this procedure. Are there any alternatives like a non-surgical skin tightening or is a facelift the only way to tighten the skin ... ?

Too young

Age is not the issue. It is whether or not the risks outweigh the benefits. In you, there appears to be little to no benefit from a facelift, so there fore the risks predominate and no one should---in my opinion---even consider doing a facelift in you.

Should I have a facelift or am I too young?

You do not need a facelift. You are beautiful and your face looks young. There is no set age for a facelift but certain anatomical issues may lead a patient to consider a facelift. You don't have these issues so please wait!

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I have a facelift, or am I too young? I'm 20

You do not need a facelift. I would suggest that you research real well the indications for facelift surgery. You do not meet any criteria. Be very cautious where you seek your advice. The last thing you need is for someone to perform unnecessary surgery. Goodluck

Facelift for the younger face

You are NOT a candidate for a facelift.  Although there is no specific age requirement, you would not benefit from it.  Your facial features look great, and would actually be desirable assets for many other patients.  Concentrate on maintaining and preserving your skin at this age- follow a smart diet with lots of antioxidants (fruits/vegetables), and avoid tobacco use and prolonged sun exposure (even tanning beds).  Consider noninvasive skin treatments- exfoliate at night (alpha hydroxy-acid or retina-A creams) and moisturize during the day (even something as simple as vitamin E/cocoa butter cream).

Christopher R. Hove, MD
Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift too aggressive for your age

A facelift would probably be too aggressive at your age. You can probably address your concerns more effectively with nonsurgical treatments such as laser skin tightening, fillers and/or other aesthetic medical treatments. These would have less associated risks and provide a more natural looking improvement for someone your age. 

20 is too young for facelift.

You have an attractive youthful face and you would be best served to leave it alone. Skin I need technology introduces thermal damage To the skin Which it simply doesn't need.

You are definitely too young for a face lift!  A great skincare regime should be incorporated into your daily routine, which greatly benefits the skin.  You may want to look into the possibility of non-surgical treatments such as peels which are revitalizing exfoliation therapy treatments designed to target congested pores and remove dead skin cells to allow the skin to regenerate and breathe giving a healthy glow to the skin.

Hello, and thank you for your question.

Facelift surgery is usually performed to correct the effects of ageing, with a few exceptions. The surgery corrects skin and deeper layers. You do not fit any of the criteria for such surgery, and I would urge you to tread very carefully if seeking other opinions.

If you were sitting in my rooms, I would suggest you look at non-surgical options(medical-grade skin care, medical-grade laser, medical-grade peels, to name few) to see if any of these would be appropriate for you and your concerns.

I wish you well.

Is 20 too young for a facelift

Yes.  I have performed facelifts for patients in their last 30's but rarely and only because they have genetically inelastic skin at an early age.  You are experiencing the very beginning of aging and do not need surgery at all.  You look very good for your age.  If you're interested in maximizing the elastic tissue in your skin, using medical skin care products such a Retin A and an antioxidant with a sunscreen would pay dividends in 5-7 years.  If there is an isolated area that bothers you, see someone to add a mild amount of filler to lift the areas that bother you  as you may have early volume loss but surgery is not the answer.  Good Luck!

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

You do not need a facelift

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photograph you have a lovely face with no sagging or evidence of loose skin or aging.  You certainly do not need a facelift.

Good topical skin care, wearing sun block, and a healthy diet for the best options for you at present.

For more information on nonsurgical methods to improve your facial skin please read the following link: