Is It Best to Get a Facelift from a Doctor Who Does Facial Surgery Only or One Who Does Both Body and Facial Plastic Surgery?

Who's best for a facelift?

You should choose a surgeon that has experience performing facelifts. Ask him how many he performs a year and what percentage of his surgeries are facelifts.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift surgeon

You should choose a surgeon who specializes and focuses on facelift surgery to get the best result possible.

Jamil Asaria, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facial plastic surgeon versus general plastic surgeon for facelift surgery?

All things being equal, a surgeon that limits his or her practice to a few procedures will ultimately perform those procedures better than a surgeon that spends time doing a wide variety of procedures.  However, all things are not equal and the final decison should be based on multiple factors as correctly detailed by other surgeon's responses.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I choose a facial plastic surgeon for my facelift?

When a plastic surgeon performs procedures to both the body and the face, they may not be as experienced in specific areas. With that being said, I would recommend seeing a facial plastic surgeon for a facelift. A facial plastic surgeon will:

1) Perform more facelifts over time and gain additional experience with the procedure that a general plastic surgeon may not.
2) Will encounter more issues and be able to better handle a problem if it arises.
3) Will be able to deliver a better overall result because of the increased experience.

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Is It Best to Get a Facelift from a Doctor Who Does Facial Surgery Only

Aesthetically speaking, it's best to get a Face Lift from a Face Lift Surgeon that understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally more attractive face.  

Go with Experience

You should seek the surgeon that is most skilled at the procedure you are interested in and ultimately a candidate for.  This could be a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon. 

Dr. ES

You've hit on a very contentious issue. There are alot of different types of surgeons (and some non-surgeons) performing cosmetic surgical procedures. The keys to achieving good results are good training, experience and technical skill. You want to find a board-certified Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon who performs alot of the specific type of surgery. You want to review their pre- and post-surgery images to ensure that you like the results that they create. You also want to trust them and be comfortable that you both have the same goals in mind. I would recommend that you choose someone who specializes in facial surgery - that might be a Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon. The key is that the face is their focus. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Which doctor should do a facelift.

The answer to your question is a surgeon who does a large volume facelifts and does them very well. They can even be general plastic surgeons or facial plastic surgeons that are board-certified. What you were choosing is the results of the surgery soo choose a surgeon who gets excellent results.

Both Facial Plastic Surgeons and Plastic Surgeons are qualified to perform facelifts

However, it's important to not only look at their label or board certification. You should inquire on what percentage of their practice is facelifts vs. other surgeries. You might also look at before and afters and see if their aesthetic meets your standards.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Facelift: choosing your surgeon

Facelift: choosing your surgeon:
Most plastic surgeons perform face and body but may be excellent facial surgeons

Surgeons can be qualified for a variety of reasons, 
  • Board Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgeons
  • not ..... Board of Cosmetic surgeons
  • member of ASAPS
  • years of experience
  • referral from a friend who is happy
This is a good starting point