Facelift for 31 Year Old to Tighten Skin?

Hi, I just recently began seeing sagging skin on my face. My tear trough areas began thinning and my cheeks began protruding and sagging a bit. I have been under sleeping and gained some weight due to my work schedule and am working on addressing both of those issues now, but is there anything else I can do.

Do I need a Facelift at 31? What are my options! Thanks!

Tell me you're kidding about the facelift!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Are you serious that you feel you have a sagging face? Do you really think you have problematic tear troughs?

The truth is that based upon that photo, you have neither. Not only are you a "young thirty," you are a beautiful thirty.

If you look at yourself in the mirror and in photographs and truly feel you have an issue, you need to stop and wonder whether your real problem is between your ears rather than in your face.

It may be that your answer isn't speaking with a surgeon- it imay be with speaking with someone who can help you to understand why you don't feel beautiful as you deserve to feel.

Facelift for 31 year old

A Facelift is performed to redrape sagging skin of the mid to lower face and neck. Your photo, consistent with your age, fails to reveal sagging skin and soft tissues. Therefore, you would not derive any benefit from a facelift procedure. It is not indicated and the performance of a procedure of this nature cannot be justified. Furthermore, it does not appear that you would benefit from any so-called skin tightening procedures. Sorry, but this is the reality!

Facelift at 31: Be careful what you look for!

Do you need a facelift? Absolutely not. Botox, under eye restylane would make a huge difference for you. However, in the world we live in, I absolutely promise you that if you knock on enough doors asking for a facelift (and you have a big enough budget) you will get a facelift.

What I am struck by is the sadness that is visible in your photograph. You do not look like a happy camper. Usually when we are clinically depressed, it is hard to do nice things for ourselves. If you came to me as a pateint and told me who wanted a facelift, I would explore with you if you are seeking surgery not to look better but to punish yourself. I have seen self-cutters who actually move on and get surgeons to do the cutting for them.

Clinical depression is usually diagnosed by somatic symptoms that include difficulty sleeping, changes in appetite, lethergy, and feeling of low self worth and in the more extreme form, thoughts of suicide or actual suicide attempts or plans. However, I think that there are less extreme forms of depression that are still worth having evaluated and treated if necessary.

You will be the best judge if any of these symptoms sound like you. If so, your first step should be to heal the mind with psychotherapy and if necessary, medications. You may be vulnerable to some unsavory coversive practices of some offices and surgeon. It is not unheard of for patients to be victimized by a surgeon telling them that they look terrible, no one will love you looking a certain way, etc. In a vulnerable emotional state it is easy to have one's self esteem eroded even further. Obviously, this type of practice is unethical but it goes on.

Take it slow, explore the highly effective minimally invasive treatments and assess your current emotional state. We like to think that great cosmetic surgery builds the ego and it does. However, sometimes it is best to address the feelings head on and then take care of yourself from a better emotional place.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Do not appear to be a candidate

While age is no longer a primary determinant to be a candidate, your photo does not depict you to be a candidate. Rest, proper diet, and possibly fillers may be a more optimal treatment for you.

What Age is Best for a Facelift

Patients who desire facial rejuvenation that is affordable, quick, and effective should consider the Lite-lift™. Like the Life-Style™ facelift, this is a modified facelift, individualized for each patient, that can be performed in the office with a local anesthetic and improve signs of aging around the neck, jawbone and lower face. These procedures are not "Thread-lifts" or "String-lifts". We do not use the "barbed" sutures employed in these other lifting operations. The Lite-lift™ uses longer lasting techniques that are discussed below. Because the incisions are limited, there is less bruising, swelling and healing time for most patients. Many patients can be back to work in one to two weeks looking rested and more youthful.

The best candidates for #LiteLift are non-smoking patients 35-60 years old with early changes of the lower face and the neck. But whose skin has elasticity with well defined bone structure. Older patients who cannot or do not wish to have a longer operation or general anesthetic can be improved with a Lite Lift™.  If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives. It is extremely important to seek a board certified plastic surgeon highly trained with your desired procedures.

Facelift Options

Dear Anteah,

You should consult a board certified facial plastic surgeon to receive the highest-quality in-person treatment, recommendation, knowledge, care and skill available. Many patients opt to receive a face lift before the signs of aging set in. Keep in mind that time is like a conveyor belt and a facelift would move you 10 years earlier but father time would continue to affect your look thereby causing you to look age 31 at age 41.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nonsurgical first

Younger patients may benefit from nonsurgical treatments before considering surgery. You may want to explore fillers, Botox and laser technologies first before considering surgery.

Your Pictures Suggest You Do Not Need a Facelift

It would be unusual for someone who is only 31 years old to need a facelift.  This procedure addresses skin laxity and redundant skin and your pictures suggest that you have neither.

In this situation mild nasal labial folds might be treated with injectable fillers.  At some point you may eventually need a facelift but not in the foreseeable future. 

Facelift

I think you look great, I would consider some fat grafting to promote facial harmony and proportions but otherwise you look great

Too young for a facelift?

I think the first thing for you to do is to get some rest and take better care of yourself. After that you might consider fillers for the tear trough or Sculptra to fill up the cheek region, but from what I see on  your photo, a facelift is not required.