Is a Lower Face Lift the Only Way to Take Care of Sagging Skin Under the Chin and Jaw?

Hello, I'm a female in my 20's but the skin under my chin and jaw sags. I was wondering if a lower face lift is the only way to correct this? I was thinking about getting fat liposuctioned because I thought that would decrease double chin and tighten the skin but then I heard this can cause the skin to sag even more. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks for your time :-)

Fat and Skin under the neck

The treatment of neck fat and excess skin will depend on several factors;

1- skin elasticity - if skin elasticity is good- then liposuction may be all that is needed.

2- Platysmal bands - if the bands are evident - not likely in a 20 year old- then tightening of the muscles is necessary.

3- Pre- and sub-platysmal fat. the fat between the skin and platysma can be liposuctioned, but the fat between the platysma and the deeper structures needs to be surgically removed.

My ideal algorithm is;

1- Liposuction for young healthy skin with sub cutaneous fat only.

2-Submental platysmaplasty/corset platysmaplasty for modest skin, fat above and below the muscle and platysmal bands.

3- Extended necklift (incision behind the ear and under the chin) for excess skin, fat and muscle tightening.

No need for a lower facelift if work is only being performed on the neck!

Fat and Skin under the neck

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

My ideal algorithm is;

Sagging skin under the chin and jaw is a very common concern for many patients. Often this can be caused by Submental fat, a recessed chin or lack of prominent jaw line. First you must identify if the cause of your concern is due to skin laxity or if you have submental fat under the chin area. Submental fat can be treated with liposuction as well as Kybella, which is a nonsurgical treatment option. If your concern is being caused by a recessed chin, often this can be treated with a chin implant to extend the length of the chin giving patients a more elegant profile and jawline. Most likely, because of your age, liposuction or Kybella will work great for you. Consulting with a surgeon in your area will help you identify your concerns and develop a treatment plan best suited for your needs.

Richard A. Zoumalan, MD

Richard A. Zoumalan, MD

Sagging neckline in 20-30 year olds

Most sagging in this age group is in the vast majority of cases not due to redundant or loose skin but rather from excess submental fat which often runs in families and sensitive to weight gain. Simple liposuction will take care of this. A board certified plastic surgeon can tell you if this is the case.

Sagging neckline in 20-30 year olds

Loose skin under the jaw in a woman in her 20's

Your question states you have loose skin under your jaw. This is relatively unlikely in your 20's - often loose muscle, excess fat, or other issues are the cause. In most people in their 20's, the jawline and neckline can be improved by reworking the fat (liposuction) or muscle (platysmaplasty) or both, with no "loose skin" cut out at all. A competent facial plastic surgeon can explain to you why a youtthful, tight neckline actually needs *more* (!) skin than a "loose" neckline.

In any case - there is hope! 

In any case - there is hope! 

Loose skin under chin

What you may perceive as loose skin might be excess fat under the chin. If that is the case, Vaser liposuction could help remove the excess fat and provide limited tightening to the skin.

A consultation with a plastic surgeon can help answer more questions for you.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin under chin

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Sagging Skin in the 20's

Generally speaking, Facelift is not indicated for someone in their 20's.  I suggest that you consult with a reputable Facial Plastic Surgeon in your area to discuss your concerns.

Sagging Skin in the 20's

Loose skin at 20....

It is very rare to see someone at their 20's with a lot of sagging skin. Most of the times the fullness is caused by adipose (fat) tissue under the skin and the skin is able to retract and shrink after liposuction is done. To be sure if liposuction or a lift is indicated please seek the advise of your local facial plastic surgeon.

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Loose skin at 20....

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower Face Lift for Sagging Skin in Neck

Yes, generally a lower face lift is the appropriate procedure to reduce the sagging skin and tissue of the neck and beneath the jaw. However, facial plastic surgery for sagging skin is usually reserved for older individuals seeking cosmetic enhancement. Younger patients who want improvement in their neck or jawline may do better with neck liposuction alone, and/or chin surgery. Jaw surgery on the chin with a silicone implant can improve the appearance of the neck. Only after a comprehensive evaluation by a plastic surgeon can he/she help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Tightening the skin in a 20 year old

Loose skin is very unusual in a 20 year old and it is more likely that you are being excessive critical of yourself. There are no reliable and consistent methods to tighthen skin non-surgically. Radiofrequency or ultrasound or laser may provide minor and temporary tightening but I would not generally advise these interventions in an inidvidual of your age.

Tightening the skin in a 20 year old

Sagging skin

it is unusual for a 20 years old to have saggy skin, but it is possible.

You need to see a plastic surgeon have an examination and decide what it is that is bothering you. it could be fat and all you need is liposuction

Sagging skin